How to network????

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasin

Solid State Member
HI guys,
Apparently i am a computer idiot. My boss at my workplace asked if he could connect this pc, lets call it A, to the network in the office. I noticed that another pc could access other computers in the whole office. So what should I do to pc A so that it can be access by the whole office??? Buy a lan card? Or there is such cable??? Thx a lot.

Are the other computer in the office already in a network?

You need a straight UTP cable for each PC and each PC needs a LAN card. You need a router and possibly some switches (depending on the number of PC's)

I am sure one of our network geeks can give a more detalied explanation on this.

Typically, offices have a star topology setup. You should ask around looking for the wiring closet. This is where all the computers are connected to a switch. Then, you're gonna wanna run a cable from the closet to the office. I suggest paying a pro to do this for you unless you or someone else you know is competent to do this. Next, plug the cable into the network card and boot the pc. Hopefully, the network cards default settings will connect you to the network. Otherwise, try to duplicate settings from another pc on the network. But be careful of setting a static (hardcoded, not dynamic) ip address, if the other comp has a set number for its ip, choose another number for the last octet (there are 4 octets).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom