How in the name of all thats holy do you setup a VPN through A Cable static ip???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tncjsmith

Beta member
Brief Description:
At a customers office, I am hosting a vpn connection from a computer (running Windows XP) through a router. The computer is setup with a high speed cable connection providing the static Ip address. At thier house they have a computer(running Windows XP), connected through a router to a DSL connection.

This is the problem that I am desperatly trying to fix.
I have tried about everthing I can come up with to get this thing to connect. Because the cable companies filter the standard ports that Windows XP uses, it goes beyond my knowledge of VPN's. How in the world do you configure the ports so that the routers allow the traffic to the right destinations???

Please help
JS

RU sure that its the ISP causing the problems... its possible that the builtin firewalls in the dslmodem and the router are causing your problems... what are the makes/models of them...

Both Lynksys dsl/cable routers... i think your right when it comes to them being the problem, i just don't know where the configuration problem is...I really need to find more resources for setting up VPN's.

Thanks
JS

Port 1723 needs to be open. You need to forward all Protocol 47 traffic as well for GRE encapsulation.

I know how to open port 1723(I mean I think) but what exactly does "forward all Protocol 47 traffic" mean? Is that part of the IP forwarding?

Thanks
JS

Do you need to be running server or can you make similar changes in XP? People keep telling me that xp won't let me make the port adjustments that i need so i should use somthing like PC anywhere. Is this true?

Setup the modem as a bridge, and the router for PPPoE... Then forward the ports. It could be the modem, like someone said up there.^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom