how to map drive in client server env.

Status
Not open for further replies.

linux1880

In Runtime
I am using win2k and like to map a drive..i know how to map but how can i put the folder in map drive?

Is that SYSVOL the default folder...How can i find it's location? Can some1 help me plz?

not sure I understand the questions. Can you explain a bit more what it is you want?

The default shares for win2k are C$, ADMIN$, IPC$. You have to connect to a valid share when mapping a drive. So if you are wanting to read the documents and settings folder on machine "computer1" then you would map \\computer1\C$\Documents and settings to what ever drive letter you wanted.
The ADMIN$ is the WINROOT folder. Either winnt or Windows, depending on the system config. The IPC share is used for remote interfaces, WMI, regedit and a few others.

hope that helps.

Thanks inaris i did it and another problem came. I mapped the drive and I can see them on the server but not on the clients. Should it not happen automatically in client side? or do i have to do them manually. Clients OS are win2k professional

another question iam admin myself and my server is not allowing me to access IPC$ , why?

ok, I need you to explain in detail what you want to do. Are you wanting a login script or somthing to do this automatically?

The IPC$ share is used by the local admin accounts to allow applications to read informatino from the computer. it's not something that you can use. That is what C$ is for.

I too am not positive what the ultimate goal is here. If you need to map client drives you can write a basic logon script to do this for you. Just use notepad to create it. Open a blank notepad document and write this

net use G: \\nameofserver\share
net use H: \\nameofserver\share

You get the picture then save it and rename the file extension to .bat and now you have a logon script. Place it in the "netlogon" folder of your AD server and set the user profiles to point to this logon script....

thank you so much win2k patcher. That was what i wanted. But sorry for another question again...how do i point the logon script in user profile? file path ...?

cheers.

are you running a Domain? Logon scripts really don't work well in workgroups cause there is no central server.
for workgroup - you can put it in the all users startup forlder if you so desire. That would do it for everyone then..

No sir, I have a proper domain. I set it up from AD in win2kserver. I have mapped the drives in server itself. Just looking a way to access them through clients. I needed logon scripts. Which I got above. I have saved the required script in 'NETLOGON; folder.

Now I know i have to write something in user profile so that they can access the mapped drive from the clients machine.. What do i write in the user profile box .
Ican see

profile path:

logon script:

How do I fill in those box ? thanks in advance inaris.

you enter the file name and location in the logon script field. The profile path is if you want to do roaming profiles so you would thne have a store on a server where you would place that. works great in small networks, but if you have to be on a remote, it get sluggish...
are the boxes greyed out or something?
let me rephrase the above... It's been a while for AD for me, so maybe someone else might know better, but in the NT4 env we currently work in, that is what we do. Man, I need to refresh my AD skills. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom