how to link two computers togethor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
My friend just moved into an apartment that has cable. He has a single onboard ethernet port on his computer, and so does his sister. He wants to be able to his sister's computer to his through network, but doesn't want to buy a routor just for two computers.

Now, I was wondering if you could throw a NIC in, use the onboard for that computer, and then put an ethernet cord from the NIC to the other computer. Would that work?

I'm sure this has been covered about a million times, but I have really bad luck with searching. :(

You suck at searching! I'm just kidding. :D

Yes, you can do that with Internet Connection Sharing. What version of Windows are you using? :bald:

Hmm, maybe you misunderstood me or maybe I misunderstood you.

I made a crossover cable with my trusty soldering iron, and connected it up as per the guide. I have network access, however, my internet doesn't work on the client PC. I was kinda hoping to have internet.

Any help?

How did I misunderstood you? You said exactly what you wanted and I told you exactly what you needed.

You can't get Internet on the client probably because you set it up incorrectly, you have a firewall, you made your own crossover cable :eek:

Nope, no firewalls. I can ping both computers, but I can't ping any websites on the client-side.

I made the crossover cable by cutting an ethernet cord in half, and splicing Solid orange on end A, to Solid green on end B. Then White W/Orange stripes on end A, to White W/Green stripes on end B.

The cable works fine, just, no internet. I have full network access, but no internet. :(

Thanks for the reply

Nevermind, you're right..I was doing it wrong.

Everything works fine now.

Thanks so much for your help dude. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom