how to isolate computer from others on network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I have a small verizon fios network with 3 computers on it. I would like to isolate one computer from the others, while keeping it conntected to the internet.

Verizon is using an actiontec router. On the router webpage there seems to be a couple of different ways the router can be configured to do this, but I want to be sure. Oddly enough, the verizon phone techs do not know how to do this.

Has anyone here configured a verizon router this way? Or can anyone point me to any resources that can help me with this? I have the router manual, but it isn't clear enough on this point.

you can either change the subnet mask on one port or create a VLAN - I think vlan's are technically "best practice"

yes that would be the best way to do it, you would basicly making two networks. I am not sure if your router is capable of creating vlans or not. f it is not capable, you could use another router, by using the wan port as the connection to the verison router, create a diffrent network there. like below

verison router - 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

the two pcs stay hooked up as normal.

new router -192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0 (wan port conected to an ethernet port on verison router.

connect the pc you want isolated to the new router.

the routers should automatily add the corect routes, unless you want the computers on the verison router to see the other pc. then you would add a route telling the 1st network how to get to the2nd network.

hope i didnt make this more confusing.

I'm not exactly sure how to set up a vlan, but it looks like you are saying it's not a good idea to build my small network around just the actiontec router verizon supplied me?

I'm not exactly sure how to set up a vlan, but it looks like you are saying it's not a good idea to build my small network around just the actiontec router verizon supplied me?

then i wouldnt even mess with the vlan, do you have another router at your disposal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom