How has my bandwidth increased so fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmbo

Solid State Member
so i have a 20gb monthly broadband plan and i am up to 80% on it. i decided to get myself bandwidth monitor to see how much i am actually downloading. now yesterday i checked the monitor regularly and it seemed to be fairly legitimate, i was up until about 12:40 (so the logs carry onto the next day).

This morning i went one website about a driving school for about two minutes and it definitely does no seem to be heavy on my bandwidth (a normal page). I have just come home and checked on my monitor and i apparently have 600mb download and 100 mb upload today. I don't understand how this is possible, perhaps an explanation. i run literally no programs and even the programs i run have manual update only. The only program in my system tray are avg and windows update (it only downloads updates when i ask it to)

On a side note, i do put my computer on sleep mode while charging my ipod touch all through the night and all through the time i was gone in the day.

here is a picture of the log
capture2.jpg

any help with this would be great.

note: if it matter

If your iPod decided to "sync" (and loaded all the Photos from your Computer) would it show up on your Bandwidth Monitor ?
Does anyone else sneak onto your Computer while your are out (kids, wife) ?
Did you properly password protect your WiFi (so the neighbor does not use it for free) ?

Run a netstat -af and see what sites your computer is talking to..

If you want to paste the logs here.. you should probably reboot your computer to remove stale entries and before opening any websites run netstat -af from a command prompt. Then Paste the results if you still need help.

Something is running.. be it torrent, or lime wire, or windows update, or a keylogger, or a malicious virus..

-Brian

If your iPod decided to "sync" (and loaded all the Photos from your Computer) would it show up on your Bandwidth Monitor ?it wont count because it is tracking my wifi adapter

Does anyone else sneak onto your Computer while your are out (kids, wife) ? no one at all
Did you properly password protect your WiFi (so the neighbor does not use it for free) ?
its not password protected but only my badwidth would be showing up. My wifi connection is shared so it may be the problem, i will turn it off get back to you to tomorrow.

Here are some useful images
capture6.jpg

capture5.jpg

capture4.jpg

also the netstat pictures are of before i secured my network, it comes every couple of seconds with a new line. Once i secured the network, all i'm getting is normal information then a very fast amount of lines (about 20 in 1 second) then an instant close. the only words i could see is the udp instead of tcp

It looks like someone was on Facebook, if it wasn't you then there is one problem. If you notice a big drop in usage after adding a Password then your neighbor used to have free Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom