How to get WiFi working

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Alright here is the deal. I got a WRT54G router. Set it up right. Got signal. But nothing i do will allow me to connect to the internet.

Now i have gone into the router properties and setup WPA2. I have put in the password. Shows that it is connected. But still when i open IE, Firefox or Opera i get nothing.

So what else could it be? the Nic card in use is this:

Newegg.com - EDIMAX EW-7128G IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA, AES - Wireless Adapters

Now i have one what the enclosed instructions have said. I have done all that. I have isntalled all the software and drivers for both the router and the card. I have instaled all the extras as well.

Still nothing. So what am i doing wrong here?

Cheers,
Mak

Hello Peter,

Yes i haev restarted the PC several times after installing the software. I have not tried to flush the DNS. Will do that next.

I tried to connect with another device and it doesnt connect either. So i am guessing it is a router issue.

Any ideas on that?

Cheers,
Mak

umm. i have that same router and i can't think of anything.. um. could it perhaps be a problem with your modem? also can you connect directly to the router and get internet?

also have you upgraded the firmware? latest version i think is like 1.4

Hello Peter,

I have not checked the PC that is connected to the router directly. It is a DSL line not a cable line as well. Dont know if that makes a difference. This isnt my setup. It is the neighbor's. PC illieterate so i have gotten volunteered to do it. Love the wife for that one. :p

I knwo that the router does have version 1.4 of the firmware. That is what it showed on the web interface. But i will double check it to make sure. It might be the modem as they say they have had times of ill-connections with it.

If anything i will bring it back here and test it on my setup to make sure it works. But till then i would like to try and figure out what could be causing this. So far it does sound like the modem is the problem.

Cheers,
Mak

yeah. i know i have a DSL setup too. and as long as the WiFi is enabled on the router it will show that its transmitting WiFi, but not that there's the connection to the internet. So basically it can be connected, but there isn't any actual connection being made.

Check in the network proporties to see packet exchange. If there's incoming and outgoing then its an internal problem, if there is a lot of outgoing but none incoming then its a router/modem problem. If thats the case then try and ping the router, then ping the modem. Also if you can try and take the router out of the equation if you can ping the router.

Hello Peter,

I have done most of that already. I checked the Network Connections and it had sent about 500 packets and recieved about 150-200 packets. So it was not getting as many as it had sent. So that leads me to think the modem is at fault.

The WiFi is highlighted on the router and the PC picks it up and connects. Get full signal at 6 bars (I think. Could be 5 bars. I just know its full). So basically i will hae to take the router out of the equation and try to connect. If i connect with the modem then it is the router. But if i cant connect with the modem then that is where the fault lies.

So many varibles. Gotta love it.

Cheers,
Mak

variables make life fun my friend ;)

keep me updated and i'll try and help you out some more if you can't figure it out.

one thing to try is to go into the modem and see if they have their connection enabled. like all their connection info entered.

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the help. I think i got enough things to check tomorrow when they get in. I am not sure how to check that stuff on the modem as i have no experience with DSL. So a call to their ISP (Verizon) might be in order.

Cheers,
Mak

oh man. k, what model is the modem? and i have verizon dsl, and i fiddle aroudn with our internet so much i'm on a first name basis with tech support ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom