How to get external IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
I'm behind a router, Linksys Something54G, and I'm not sure how, without logging into the router, to check my external IP address? Is there a way to do it, perhaps going to a command line and typing a command? When I go to IPCONFIG, it is giving me my internal 192 address, but not the IP which Comcast has assigned.

I realize i can do it through a website or something, but is there no other way to find out? I remember once at a work my network admin was trying to find a way to do that, so he could tell his friend or something.

It was an accident, I accidently posted it in the windows one so I put it in the networking one and when I remembered that i should delete the other one, you had posted, so I can no lonfer delete it. A mod I'm sure will take care of this in due time...

I do know better, accident, sorry.

So you want to do it the hard way. :) Well you could logon onto the router and see what it is. Or if you really want to make things harder just use a packet sniffer and examine the encapsulation data.

Is that really the only way to do it? Thats annoying. I didnt want to have to log into the router to view it, but I was hoping there was an easier way.

It will change though. I'm not talking a dedicated IP like at a buisness, I'm talking at home. I should have said that earlier, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom