How far and through how many obstacles can wireless go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Person

Baseband Member
Hello everyone.
I'm thinking of buying a wireless router, since my two computers will be spread apart pretty far away. One will one on the first floor and other in the basement. Will all the walls and obstacles cause any problems? If some routers would be able to handle that better than others, what would be your suggestions?
Thanks.

I suggest you keep the wireless access point in the basement, should work, are they in the same general area (i.e right above each other?) check on the box for distance, and ask a clurk.

Yes, they would be located just about in the same vertical line. I'll go to my local best buy and look a little, maybe ill find something :).

well it depends, if it's a 802.11b or 802.11g router. obviously, 11g routers will have more range and have a stronger signal (not to mention are well faster than 11bs). since, you'll be using yours on different floors, get a 11g router.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS router/firewall/switch/WAP in my home office in the basement. It's on the very top of a bookcase, so it's a little above ground level. I have no problems working from my deck (outside) about 35 feet away or inside at about 30 feet away. There's more walls between the WAP and my laptop when I'm inside. That's 30-35 feet in a line of site measurement (ignoring walls and floors). After that, I can venture farther away, but the signal strength drops, so the network speed ratchets down from 802.11g (54 Mbps) to less than 802.11b (11 Mbps). If I recall, it drops to either 2 or 4 Mbps for giving up completely. That's walking outside maybe 50-60 feet from the WAP. You should be fine inside. You may have to walk 70 feet get from the WAP to the room farthest away, but the wireless signal might only be travelling 30 feet.

If that doesn't cut it, there are signal boosters, wireless repeaters, and I know Linksys sells beefed-up antennas.

I went to CompUSA and got me wireless router and an adapter card, $40 after mail in rebates, which is pretty nice. Its a G version so I hope it will work :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom