How do you know if your network cable is crossover? For what can it be used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I dont need crossover cables but the thing is that I already bought it...(before I knew anything about networking...)

I have purchased a netgear router (didnt receive it yet though) and am wondering if the crossover cable works with the router or will I have to buy a new cable...
(I know if I'm using a router, the cable does not have to be crossover but the question is WILL IT WORK?)

Thanks again...

You can use a crosslink cable to connect from your router to your PC, but you will have to use the uplink port on the router if I remember correctly (???)

I think the port for your modem is called "WAN" and there's anotehr port called "Uplink". But I could be wrong.

Crossover cables are usually red, and non-crossover cables are usually either grey or blue (sounds pretty stupid)

Crossover cables are only for direct connections (e.g PC to PC) and cant be used with routers, whereas non crossover cables are the exact opposite

We are using a crossover cable wich connects from the router to a PC and it works. I don't know if it uses a specific port, though.

Some older routers have an uplink port. This is for connecting to another switch. WAN port is for connecting to the cable/dsl modem and LAN ports are for connecting to PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom