How do you

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepimpinest

Solid State Member
I was wondering how I could take files from one computer and load them up on the other, or print something from one computer from the other.

If it helps the computer with the router (wrt54g) is a windows xp, and the other is a windows vista.

Thanks in advance.

you can setup a direct network which would probably be the easiest thing to do. I believe it works with a normal ethernet cable, but if it doesn't just go out and buy a CAT5e cable for like 7 bucks, and just connect the two. Then go into CP and then Networking Options, then create home network and follow the wizard to the wonderful land of file sharing in your own home.

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong about the ethernet cable working to create the network.

he already has the router so he just need regular ethernet cables. run the net setup wizard in xp. set vista name to the same workgroup

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong about the ethernet cable working to create the network.

Yea, in most cases, a straight cable won't work. But he already mentioned having a WRT54G so 2 straights should be all that the OP needs.

Workgroup names are optional and don't need to be the same ... but if you want to keep it easy then you should probably just use the same workgroup for each computer.

Yea, in most cases, a straight cable won't work. But he already mentioned having a WRT54G so 2 straights should be all that the OP needs.

Workgroup names are optional and don't need to be the same ... but if you want to keep it easy then you should probably just use the same workgroup for each computer.

how do you access files from different workgroups?

how do you access files from different workgroups?

Right, as peter stated above. In earlier OS types, different verbiage, but it's all the same. Imagine how complex the world of networking would be if you couldn't access computers/printers/files from different workgroups.... LOL

Anyway, a computer or node's "Workgroup or zone" is simply that ... just a name for organizational purposes. Sometimes they refer to a physical location within a small LAN. The workgroup name is sent, in a simple way, across the network, but more times than not, it is ignored (gateways and routers drop these bits). It's only really used across a P2P network so that your machine can display all of the Workgroups in your LAN....nothing more. Share permissions, etc cannot be controlled on a workgroup level. It's pretty pointless actually.

If I had a small LAN in my office that incorporated a few different "Workgroups" then I would be able (if connected correctly) be able to see all workgroups in the lan. They would all appear the same way your 1 workgroup does before you click on it and then see all of the computers.

If I had a OFFICE LAN using only P2P networking:
Perhaps one workgroup would be "HR" .. in this workgroup I could have nodes called "HR1", "HR2", and maybe a printer called "HROFFICEJET". Then on the second floor perhaps I would have a workgroup called "ADMIN" and have nodes called "ADMIN1", "ADMIN2" and a printer called "ADMINLASERJET". We are all connected on the same LAN and are using P2P. So, at the "ADMIN1" station, if I typed \\HR1 in explorer, a password prompt would appear (depending how I was logged in and the users existing on the "HR1" computer of course.) But, since Workgrouping is only really used in P2P networking, it then doesn't rely on what Workgroup you are in for anything.....just relies on the user permissions on the computer that you are trying to access.

In short, the answer to your question in the quote is.... "The same way you would normally"

I just learned something new. btw, what do you put in for the password when the computer isn't password protected?

is there like, a button to push? cause if it isn't pw protected then you don't put anything in. or you could pw protect it and do it like that.

I just learned something new. btw, what do you put in for the password when the computer isn't password protected?

I hope that you did... and I hope that what you learned wasn't that I tend to ramble ...
Anyway...

What do you mean? On a P2P network you should get a prompt if a guest account is enabled... if not, then you'll have to have a like username in their user list. Is that what you meant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom