How do i use Ethernet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokarr

Baseband Member
Ive been using wireless recently and for some reason everytime a phonecall comes in, my internet becomes extremely choppy. After the phonecall ends, it clears up. I tried fixing this problem by buying a 50' Ethernet Cable (my computer is 1 room away from my router)

Now when i plug my ethernet cable into the jack on the back of my computer, it shows a red light. And it is unable to communicate with my router even though it is plugged in. How should i fix this? Do i need to buy an Ethernet Adapter PC slot? I didnt have to use one on my main computer next to the router so I thought i could just plug it straight in the slot.

On a side note, anyone may know why my internet slows down when i receive phone calls? Both lines are run by filters...

If the internet is only having issues on the wireless PC, then I can guess that the phone is a 2.4Ghz wireless handset, and the computer is using 802.11b or g to connect to the router. The trouble here is that both technologies operate at the same 2.4 Ghz frequency, as do Microwave ovens, and an assortment of other devices. If the WIRED computer is having issues also, I would suspect that perhaps you might have a filter connected inproperly.

You may also want to see what IP address your network card on the PC is grabbing. If you have two NIC's (wireless and wired) then you may want to double check the IP settings on the physical NIC. You may just need to release/renew the IP. Or sometimes it just hangs, and to resolve it, just assign a static IP and that should get you going. Then you can switch back to DHCP and it should grab the correct IP address.

However, I use wireless G at home and it's fine and all for surfing, but I just switched over to Gigabit ethernet and man is it fast. Even Fast Ethernet is better than wifi and the speed difference is incredible.

I actually just wrote a comparison in my last Podcast about it. Check it out if you want to see results.

http://www.technogab.com/

Good luck.

Joe

Yea ethereal ur correct, my wireless phone is 2.4ghz and im using 802.11b linksys wireless adapter. Anywyas to resolve this issue? or any conclusions why my ethernet cable will not work? my computer light next to the ethernet slot is red.

if your router supports it (and if your on a desktop coomputer), get a card that supports 802.11G

that may help. (i know little in networking so if i'm wrong someone correct me)

Change the channel the phone operates on. I take it you have DSL... double check the filters. Unplug one phone at a time, call your house and see if you eliminate the problem if so then that phone is at fault.

If when you have the cable plugged in you get a red light, then it indicates that there is something wrong with the connection.... either a bad port at one of the ends, or a bad cable. Have you made sure that the cable was seated all the way at each end? Have you tried different LAN ports on the router? Is it a straight through or cross over cable (see below)?

To check what type of cable it is, hold both ends up in your hand.... Here is a picture for reference...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Cat5-plain-dot.svg
That is TIA/EIA-568-B standard. It is possible that the cable you are using is TIA/EIA-568-A, in which case, the orange/white orange and green/white green pairs are flipped.

When holding it up to your face, if the color scheme's in both connecters are the SAME, then it is a straight through cable, if one end has green / white green at one side, and the opposite end of the cable has orange / white orange on the other, then it is a crossover cable.

As I had asked earlier, have you made SURE that the DSL modem and phone is plugged into the CORRECT port on the filter?

My cable colors match those of the picture. It seems to be straight through. This is the exact one i ordered: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-A3L791...7721174-0012100?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments

It seem tha the light on the router is green with my cable, but it is red on the side connecting to my computer. I have double checked phone lines went into phone and my gateway went into dsl slot of the filter.

I am thinking my computer has a bad port since i have never used it in 2years or so. Would a simple PC ethernet adapter i buy at bestbuy solve this?

Well, assuming that the NIC port on the computer is bad, then YES, getting a new NIC (fairly cheap) will be able to (should be able to) get you connecting to the router properly. If after that you STILL get slowdowns when getting a phone call, then you likely have a problem with your inside wiring at your home, or on the telco line.

NOTE: have your PC WIRED to the router, NOT wireless for this

You can call the ISP and have them test the line, but your internet and phone will be down for the duration of the testing. If that is ok, then go outside your home (EASIER if you have a house/townhome, might not be possible at an apartment). If the cable is hung, then follow it down to the gray box. This is the NID (Network Interface Device). There will be a clip on it. unhook the clip, and open up the box. You will find an RJ-11 connecter, which is the same as the ones in your home (hopefully, unless you have modular jacks.... they are REALLY OLD, and SUCK.... I have them at my apartment). Unplug this, and plug in your filter. Get a long phone cord, plug it into the data side of the filter and the other end into the DSL modem. Plug in the phone to the other side of the filter. Sign online, and do what you normally would, then do a test call to see if you still have the trouble. If the trouble is gone, then the problem is with your inside wiring, and would likely be resolved by replacing the cabling inside, or finding where the trouble spot is.

If you STILL have the trouble, have the telco send a tech to your home to test from the NID, and show them the problem.

If the trouble happens ONLY with a wireless connection, then try changing the channels that the router uses, or the phone... other options would be to get 802.11A networking equipment, or the EASIER thing, would be to get a 5Ghz phone, rather than the 2.4Ghz one which is causing the interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom