how do i set up wireless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice_snuff

Baseband Member
how do i set up a wireless network,

i have an adsl modem with an ethernet wire do i plug that into the wirless router or is there more to it?

how do i set up the security?

thanks

ice_snuff said:
how do i set up a wireless network,

i have an adsl modem with an ethernet wire do i plug that into the wirless router or is there more to it?

how do i set up the security?

thanks

Yes, you just plug the ethernet cable into the router. There should be a port labeled WAN. This is the one that you want.

To setup security, you'll have to log into the router.

Personally, I would change as many of the defaults as I could. Definitely the password, and the SSID. I would also turn off the option labeled "Broadcast SSID."

If you want to get more in depth than that, post back and I can help out.

Go to http://192.168.0.1 or something along those lines in your Internet browser. You'll be asked for a username and password. Check the manual for the defaults.

It's probably 'admin' and 'password' or something.

Sure it isn't 127.0.0.1? Im not really good with routers but I'm pretty sure thats the address...

It won't be 127.0.0.1. That's the localhost address (ie your computer).

If it's a Linksys router, I can't remember, but I think that the address is 192.168.1.1. There won't be a username, and the password is admin123.

If it's not a Linksys router, post back with the brand (D-Link, Netgear, etc.), and exact model, and somebody should be able to look it up for you.

Mines 192.168.1.1 and thats a D-link.

When setting up your wirless connection I advise you to considering security. Using MAC addresses is the most secure way of making sure the only people using it are the people you want. There is also WAP and WEP encryption which is just like a password. Either way, its important to do this to ensure that someone doesn't pull their machine up onto your network/connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom