How do I set up a subnetwork? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2018, 01:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default How do I set up a subnetwork?

Hence the question I have been researching threw Google and watching youtube Videos on.

At the minute I have just swapped out my router what is now WAN capable. I have a WAN connection on the router and I also have 4 individual LAN connections.

I have been watching YT videos and I'm still confused about the physical connections and the addressing of the two routers I will be using.

One router has WAN and the other does not. Just 4 LAN connections . SO...

Do I connect the LAN port of the second router that does not support WAN to the first routers WAN port that I'm now using as my primary router that has direct internet connectivity threw the telephone line.

Route the cables say from internet router WAN to second routers LAN port 1 ..

Do I need to log in to router 2, (the router that does not have WAN) and change its default IP Address .

Do I change it to for example 192.168 . 2 . 1 and keep my WAN router say at 192.168 . 1 . 1

Do I need to change the subnet I think is 255.255.255.0 on router two (that does not have WAN) ..

Would I change this to 255.255.0.0 ..

I pretty confused about the addressing.

Also do I need to do this in the LAN settings of the second router and do I need to change the routers WAN setting (Internet router) ..

Can anyone explain this to me in detail what I have to do with the physical cables and how I change the addressing on each router ..

I understand a lot about networking but this is something that has confused me for a long time and I want to get it down.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: How do I set up a subnetwork?

Need to know models of the devices you're working with here.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Need to know models of the devices you're working with here.

Thanks for replying PP:

I found this video on youtube from a guy I have watched several times.

This is the video.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

That didn't answer my question at all, because the network topology will depend greatly on dependencies from your ISP as well as the equipment you're working with.

Ideally if you have fiber coming in rather than coax/DSL/whatever and your ISP allows skipping their provided gateway then you ditch that device as to avoid a double NAT situation from having 2 layer 3 devices on the chain (professional/enterprise devices aside). Now when this is the case and you have one layer 3 device you still need the DHCP server turned on to provide auto IPs for devices that don't matter and assign statics to devices you want to be static.

In the case of what I'm to assume is your situation, you would need your ISP connection connected to the WAN port on your ISP provided gateway and if possible use a DMZ or passthrough from LAN port 1 to your own lab router preferably with a MAC assigned clone. This will send all data straight through the ISP provided gateway for your own router to handle all network traffic. You then use the DHCP server on your own router to provide the auto/static IPs to the equipment in your house. The subnetting then depends on what you want to subnet and how your own router works. In the situation outlined in this paragraph the subnetting will be done on your lab router.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote