How do i secure my wireless network, to many people moochin of me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaznad

Solid State Member
Hi i have 3 computers in my house :
1 desktop ( with a linksys router , zonealarm firewall)
2 laptops w/ wireless cards( that connect to that linksys router , zonealarms firewalls)

ok , the connection is starting to slow down a bit and im assuming its people jumping on my network

how do i make a password for my linksys router so only my 3 computers can access the net, , im not a computer genius so i would need step by step help

thank you

You Have to turn on wpa or wep encryption. It is pretty easy download the manual for your router and follow the instructions. Just a quick overview.

under security turn on WPA make a passphrase and enter is passphrase into the laptops when you view wireless networks you will see your network and when you click on it it will promt you for the password.

And don't forget to change the default password for the router login. You know how to log onto your router right? http://192.168.1.1 defaults for most linksys are user name is empty and the password is admin.

Wep and wpa encryption work great. I prefer mac filtering so I do not have to encrypt. You only allow computers with permission to access your network. I little harder when you have friends show up who want to connect but a bit faster than wep or wpa. Plus its fun when your neighbors think you are un secure and cannot hook up. I had one who called me over to help with there comp cause they could not hook up to MY network. I laughed at him.

WEP is very easy to crack, and wpa is crackable (neither slow anything down) but nothing is easier to do than mac address spoofing. Almost every packet sent out by your machine will have your mac address attached in plain text. Although it is better than nothing, It by no means is secure. A false sence of security is a dangerous thing. chaznad To see if anyone is using your wireless almost all routers alow you to see how many wireless pc's are attached. by mac address get your mac address's and cross referance them to the log.

WEP is very easy to crack, and wpa is crackable (neither slow anything down) but nothing is easier to do than mac address spoofing
WEP is easy to crack WPA to my knowledge is very difficult since there is not a key transmitted, so I would guess you would need to physically be @ the pc, mac spoofing is easy and also mac filtering can be very cumbersome if you have a lot of workstations. Hiding the SSID is not worth your trouble. and use a custom ip address and make your gateway something like xxx.xxxx.xxx.28
instead of the default " 1 "

WPA is prone to dictionary attacks, but that's just for people who put words from the dictionary as their passphrase, a good passphrase consisting of letters and number over 22 characters will make a dictionary attack useless.

With rainbow tables now free and on the net all passwords can be cracked in very little time. Its not just dictionary attack's anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom