how do i password protect network folder on server

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveske23

Beta member
I'm having trouble finding a software that will password protect a shared folder on my server. I want to be able to share the folder but put a password on it so not everyone on the network has access to it. I have found a couple of programs that will put a password on a folder for different users on one local machine but the folder isnt accessible over the network.
Does anyone know of any software that does this?

You have to give access to it only to whoever you want to have access to it. Right click, and go to Sharing/Security.

I have a win2K server with XP workstations. I want everyone to have access to the folder but have users enter a password to get into it.

why? if you dont want them in there, dont even let them see it. Much more secure this way wouldnt you think?

Why not only allow ceratin users to access the folder. You are password protecting it via the user name and password. You can also set rights to the folder. If you have users you only want to see the files not edit them you can do such. Are ther any reasons you do not want to use sharing/security to lock down the folder? It works great. If someone leaves their computer just have them lock their workstation and there is you password protection.

all users are administrators and (need to be) can change permissions on the folder. So i need to put a password on the folder so only people who know the password can get in.

They are admins on their computers not the server? correct. Even if they are admins on their computers they cannot change sharing on the server itself. Try a little test folder to see for yourself. create the folder, share it, do not give yourself permission and try to access it from your workstation. Here everyone is an admin of their machine else I would spend hours putting crap on their computers. If I do not give them access to the folder on the server they cannot touch it without the server admin account.

You will have to get some sort of third party software. Make another group, and give them full control on everything, but take them out of the users who can access this folder. Or, take yourself from the Administrators group, but give yourself administrative right, and then blobk the administrative group from accessing this folder. MS has thought of every conceivable scenerio on folder permissions, so you can do whatever you want with security on folders like that.

steveske23 said:
all users are administrators and (need to be) can change permissions on the folder. So i need to put a password on the folder so only people who know the password can get in.

Why does everyo0ne need to be an admin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom