how to create a network????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tariqadkhan

In Runtime
i currently have a desktop and a laptop and i would soon be getting another laptop. i would like to share a dial-up connection and also share files to any of my computers. i would like to know the hardware and software i would need and all the advice and guidance as possible???

thanx in advance for your help!

You have 2 options:
a. This is a slightly more expensive option, but usefull. You can get a wireless router and 2 wireless cards for your laptop. Then get a cat-5 cable and hook your deskop in. With this setup, your laptops will be hooked into the network wherever in the house they are, and your desktop will have a fixed wire to your router (and presumably be close by)
b. A cheaper way would be to get a wired router, and 3 cat-5 cables and hook them all into your router as well as to each computer. With this setup, your 2 laptops (as well as your desktop) will all be in a fixed position, and your network will only work if the computers are physically pluged in.

He said dial-up. I have no idea how to share dial up internet, except maybe through ICS but I don't know how to set that up.

If he wants, he would use ICS but the desktop NIC card would be connected to a switch and the two laptop connected to the switch. If you want wireless access just use an access point.

I suggest you get broadband, sharing dial-up connection is not efficient and what I describe above is complicating, maybe to you. So get a broadband connection like DSL or cable and buy a home router or wireless router.

woot6600GT said:
He said dial-up. I have no idea how to share dial up internet, except maybe through ICS but I don't know how to set that up.

Dialup is very easy to share - I do it.
All you do is, when you run the network wizard on the computer you have your modem connected, just select the option "This computer connects directly to the internet"

how to create a network?

ok well if i cant share a dial-up connection it will be impossible for me to get any other, because i live in trinidad and dsl is $500 per month and it isnt that great either. so i was wondering if i could just share my files between computers by forming a network???

thanx for ur quick responses!!!

what OS is we talking about here?
If it is windows xp, you can just connect to the internet, then right click the connection and find somewhere where you can activate "allow other computers to connect to the internet through this computers internetgateway, something, something.."
Then I think you can make a "bridge connection" between the WAN connection and the dial up connection.

I think that should do it, at least its a possibility :D

No, that would not work. You can only bridge two networks. You can't bridge a dialup connection and a network.
Just do what I said above when you are in the network setup wizard, and you'll be fine

tariqadkhan said:
i currently have a desktop and a laptop and i would soon be getting another laptop. i would like to share a dial-up connection and also share files to any of my computers. i would like to know the hardware and software i would need and all the advice and guidance as possible???

thanx in advance for your help!

Why would you want to share a dialup??? When DSL is $14.95 mo.

Unless you can't get DSL.?

I have this setup but with DSL.

ap

Disregard, I seen the later responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom