How to choose a DSL provider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark J

Baseband Member
I'm looking into getting a broadband internet connection for my computer, but I'm not quite sure where to begin.

Are you forced to get a connection from your phone provider? The best deal that Qwest, my phone line provider, is offering is 1.5 Mbps (though I understand it that the actual speed will probably be a lot less) for $20 a month for the first 12 months, but $40 a month after that. Is there any way to keep a more consistently low price? Is it worth switching to a new phone company?

Is there anything else I should know?

It's usually best to go with a local one since, they are usually the cheapest because they own their hardware.

Check dslreports.com for ratings of the DSL services in your area as well.

BASSMASTER said:
You should feel lucky that you live in an area with options to choose from :)

I second that. In SA, there is only one option, and the fastest speed is 512KBps. It is R470 per month excluding service provider, that comes to about $70pm without a service provider, and about $100pm with service provider.

wow. I'm in at around 17£ sterling over here per month. you can get it as low as around 15£ but they tend to have a transfer limit per month - a big neddy no-no as far as i'm concerned. though some people find this ok.

They have recently introduced 24Mbit dsl over here now...sorta dont beleive you'll get that over telephone wires, but its nice that they are trying.

urf said:
wow. I'm in at around 17£ sterling over here per month. you can get it as low as around 15£ but they tend to have a transfer limit per month - a big neddy no-no as far as i'm concerned. though some people find this ok.

They have recently introduced 24Mbit dsl over here now...sorta dont beleive you'll get that over telephone wires, but its nice that they are trying.

Keep rubbing it in, why don't you :)
If it makes a difference, I think SA is coming out with 1Mbps soon.

urf said:

Average was 18Mbit

Since everyone has their own phone wire, 24 is very plausable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom