How can I stop detecting other's wireless network??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerSan

Beta member
Hi,

Can someone enligten me how can I stop detecting other's wireless network. Its very fustrating because I need to adjust my laptop in order to detect my own wireless connection. Currently i'm using Window XP Pro. Is there some tips & tricks where I can do some settings?

It depends on the card you are using as well as the software you are using as a tool to connect

-Mike

Thats a lucky "problem" to have, just use your neighbors internet connection if u can pick it up constantly and save $40 a month.

fitzfan, I wouldn't suggest that. I believe the law in the US considers that to be stealing. You can use programs to find the network, but as soon as you log on and use their connection, that's crossing the line from legal to illegal. Granted, if someone wasn't smart enough to secure their wireless network, you probably won't get caught for a very long time, if ever.

RogerSan, if your using the wireless built into XP, when you're connected to a wireless network, try either double clicking or right clicking the connection in the startup tray. If you let the mouse hover over it, it should say popup something like wireless connection. Clicking one of those ways will pop up a window that has two boxes in it. The top one will have a list of available wireless networks, and the bottom will have a list of "preferred networks". It's called something like that, at least. Remove all of the other networks from this box, leaving only yours. This should fix your problem.

Sorry if my instructions are as clear as mud, it's been a while since I've had to work in XP.

hilowe said:
fitzfan, I wouldn't suggest that. I believe the law in the US considers that to be stealing. You can use programs to find the network, but as soon as you log on and use their connection, that's crossing the line from legal to illegal. Granted, if someone wasn't smart enough to secure their wireless network, you probably won't get caught for a very long time, if ever.

isnt it possible that the people who don't put encryption on there wireless networks are doing so because they wanna share there internet connection. thats the way i see it.........................:classic:

this way, its nobodys fault that you were using there connection. you took it for granted that they were being nice.

You can setup your own wireless network as your default connection. Whenever you get home, it should move to yours automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom