How can I set up a wireless network in a very unusual circumstance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliceN1derland

Baseband Member
Hi everyone!

Ok, my situation is a bit strange. I will do my best to explain my situation and my needs, hoping for a good solution.

We are on a ranch here. My neighbors have allowed me to run two buried CAT5 lines from their machine shop to our house [we purchased that strange gray PVC pipe, cut a trench, buried the gray PVC pipe, and pulled two CAT5 cables through it to our home]. For two years, they used a Cisco Router and I simply plugged both CAT5 lines into their router. With that set up, I was able to plug one of the CAT5 wires on our side into a Verizon Router and make a wireless network for our place and everything was good.

Recently they switched their set up, and now my Verizon Wireless Router will no longer work on their network, yet both CAT5 cables are giving me a wonderful DSL speed. So now, I no longer can create a wireless signal due to their new set up [when I attempt to plug in my Verizon Router, the screen asks for the user name and password of my neighbor's ATT account, and I do not feel comfortable asking for their personal information].

So, I have two CAT5 cables coming to our property, each cable hooked directly to each of my two desktop computers, and it works very good, but....

I had a FOSCAM IP Camera set up before by using the Verizon Router Signal but now, without being able to connect the Verizon Router, I can no longer use the FOSCAM IP Camera.

Here is my question:

Is it still possible to somehow set up a wireless router by using a switch or something similar? Can I somehow run one of the CAT5 cables into a switch and make a new local network?

Ok, I hope I have not totally confused you guys.

Please help me if you can.

Thank you,

Alice

So, you still have CAT5 that has working signal, and you just need wireless back, is basically the jist of what I'm getting from your post?

Check to see if your router has an Access Point option; then you can plug the cat5 into the router, and have a wireless access point from that router.

If your current router doesn't have that option, and you can't find a router that will allow you to do it on stock OEM firmware, you could always get a router that's compatible with DD-WRT, flash the custom DD-WRT firmware, and set it up as an access point:
Wireless access point - DD-WRT Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom