How to avoid change of settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Solid State Member
My laptop (Win Me) goes every day, from home to office and according to necessity has to be linked, always machine to machine - no hub, as detailed
to office's PC - Win Me
to bench's PC - Win 98SE
to home's PC - Win Me
to cable modem at home

To facilitate things I named all machines the same, "MADRE". More often than not Windows assigns automatically an IP, so I fixed for all MADREs: 169 254 134 7 - submask 255 255 000 000.

My laptop becomes 169 254 134 77 - submask 255 255 000 000

Naturally for the cable modem, I need to bring TCP/IP setting for "automatic" IP what requires me to change settings to "automatic assignment".

When leaving home in a hurry I often forget to prepare office's setting as above so, when arriving there, whatever machine I link it to, I have to start, and set the fixed IP as above and restart.

The same when I leave the office and I forget to prepare the "automatic IP" to connect directly to cablemodem when at home.

How could I avoid this? Automatic assignment didn't work as expected most of the times and mainly my office's machine refused to recognize the laptop.

Sorry for my wordiness but want to avoid questions on basic things.

Help will be appreciated!

the pcs must have unquie names, same workgroup, same network/subnet mask

set ips of your other pcs to 192.168.5.x subnet mask 255.255.255.0. x=1,2,3 for each different pc. for the laptop set it x=4

when you use your cable modem you'll need to change the setting to auto assign from dhcp.

im in a rush sry g2g, lol ****ing meeting

There is no solution, I think

I udnerstand what you propose but then I am still changing settings what is actually I want to avoid. If you reread my post you will see that laptop and all MADREs understand each other normally.

I come to the conclusion that there is no solution for my problem.

Thanks for replying.

uprgade to windows 2k or xp, you will be able to setup the different connections in network properties and enable/disable which is currently in use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom