how....

Status
Not open for further replies.

0o0

Baseband Member
i'm tryin to network two computers
one xp the other win me

i've bought the router, and have got one lan cable going to each computer
The internet works on the first comp running on xp but how do i connect the computer 2 on me to the internet?
the ics thing is really confusing why do i need two nics?

thanx

you need two NICs because each computer needs a network card.
Make sure that the settings on the Me are the same (apart fronm the IP address)...
And disable any DHCP function that the router has (to make the situation simpler)
Try seting the gateway IP address (might be called the DNS) to that of the router (this could help if you haven't already done this)

If not, tell me more about the situation

ive got one nic on each computer , but the microsoft ics says you need two on one computer?
the comp on xp connects to the internet over lan,and when the router connects a new icon "internet gateway" appears.
where can i find all the icons for lan ans networking in winME?
all the've got is dialup networking and "network"
could you please give step by step instructions on how do do this from the start......

thanx

you should only need one network card...
So, is the xp computer working as it should be?
I can't say I know anything about WinME so i can't rele help in this area.

As you have one corking computer (I think) use your internet brouser to access your routers settings page [this is usualy hone by typing in http://routersIP].

Somewhere in here there should be the option to dissable the DHCP feature (i dont know where, it varies from router to router)

For WinXP, you need to go into the control panel and access network connections.
Under here, find your network card and type in your desired IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.2 with subnet:255.255.255.0). Make sure the DNS is setup to that of your routers IP.

Make sure that the computer is setup for a specific workgroup (click on setup network [i think on the panel on the left of the window]). NB you will probably have ot reeboot.

Once back up, check the connectivity to the router and the other computer by:
1) Click start and run
2) run "CMD"
3) in here, type "ping [routers IP]" (this will tell you if there is any communication accross the network)

if this works on both computers, then try pinging from one computer to another

There could be other factors causing problems... tell me how you get on

Your problem is that you are trying to use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) by the look of it. This involves one computer connecting through the other to get online. When you have a router involved, you do not need to get two computers involved at once. The router should have DHCP enabled by default. It would seem that the problem is getting the ME computer to get an IP address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom