Hosting websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashmodean

Beta member
Hey guys I make websites and I want to learn how to host them on a linux server at home.
I guess I will need to read about linux, internet, computer networks, servers, DNS servers, domains, IPs, ISPs and all the other things a hosting company has to deal with every day.

Where shoud I start from? :confused:

Research my friend.

Plenty of Linux distro's can run web hosting software. Best Ive heard is Gentoo.

Apache is good for web hosting

Start from learning what your ISP can do. Hosting a webstie from home means that you must have a fantastic upload speed. You will have people with download speeds of 30Mbps or greater. If you can only upload 1Mbps it will take them a long time to load your page and they will move on. Patience is not something people have a lot of these days. Find out if you have what it takes to be able to cope with the load of uploading your site to even 10 PC's at once. If not hosting form home will not be your solution.

Thing is most ISPs will block it.

if you will be hosting a lot of static content nginx or unixy varnish is great.

On an average 5mb download and 512k upload you aren't going to be able to host much. YOu could host a personal website if a limited number of people used it.

As remix said a lot of ISP's block this though, because they don't want you making money off of their leased internet line. Something that a lot of companies will actually cut your service off if they find you are doing it because it's against their policy.

You should start at hosting it somewhere else because you'll need to upgrade to a business service, and that'll probably cost a lot more than just having sites like godaddy host it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom