Hosting a Server W/ Wireless Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandercup

cuPWNED
Is there a noticable performance decrease when you use a server that has a wireless connection over wired?

I'm running a standard home connection with ~2 MB upload and ~18MB down

I've run a wired game server before and had no problems with lag or performance (and I don't mean locally)

I'd like to hide the server away from view... (ie. in a closet) but I'd then have to use a wireless card... performance?

Whats latency? Laymans terms hehe

The PC will be approximately 10 feet away from the wireless router and there will be no walls in between (same room, just in a closet) but there will be a closed inch thick wooden door.

edit: also

does anyone have an idea on how much bandwidth a 14 slot source game server takes up in a month with avid usage? (i know you need specific numbers, but an approximation is fine)

I'm pretty sure I've run a full month with some servers before, but I don't want to get my parents angry with me for running over the bandwidth limits of Cox

ok sweet thanks, I had an extra NIC card lying around so I'm happy and the door will block nearly all the sound from the already quiet pc

yeah I think it'll be fine (ill monitor the temps via remote viewing software, I forget the name right now) because the door has nearly an inch clearance from the bottom of the floor and there is a cm of space between the two doors closed (double door closet)

otherwise I might just put it over in a corner of the room rather then in the closet, the computer will look really slick (painted it today, waiting for it to dry overnight) with the all black layout, hopefully somewhat like aspire's aurora

Might want to be careful. As WiFi signals are not known for their X-Ray capabilities. They do not go thru walls and doors easily. They bounce off of things like that. So you could really hamper yourself if you do not have a strong enough router.

Also wouldnt the speed be hampered? I mean WiFi i know of can only do 104Mb/s while wired can do as fast as your net. So how would going WiFi not affect the speed?

Might want to be careful. As WiFi signals are not known for their X-Ray capabilities. They do not go thru walls and doors easily. They bounce off of things like that. So you could really hamper yourself if you do not have a strong enough router.

Also wouldnt the speed be hampered? I mean WiFi i know of can only do 104MB/s while wired can do as fast as your net. So how would going WiFi not affect the speed?

My wifi can go through several walls.

Also, you got the bit/byte thing wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom