Host Interface Networking explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

steves85

Baseband Member
Could someone please tell me if this is correct. HIN - This would be for me using a virtualisation program and wanting to access the internet on a guest OS, from the Host. Is this correct?

I'll assume your looking at Virtual Box?
Basically you're binding another connection to the physical card and not using the NAT (which I think is the default for Virtual Box?)
So instead of having your physical machine running 192.168.0.100 and your VM running 10.0.0.1 (through the software's NAT) you can actually assign a direct IP (like it's a physical box) to your Guest OS like 192.168.0.101

VMware calls this "Binding" which you can use instead of the "VMnet" connections that are created.

Yep VirtualBox is what i am using, but i still cannot come to terms with the technical aspects of HIN. All i know is that i am running ubuntu as a guest o/s and i can use the net on there. But when i installed virtualbox it asked me to install HIN so i did. Just not sure what the actual features/ benefits of it are?

Wait... So the guest has its own IP is that right? Think i got it now. Why would you want to use this instead of NAT? If you were running a server maybe???

Yes, your Guest O/S has it's own IP.

HID or NAT can both be used, there are benefits to each. It really all depends what you need to do on your network. HID keeps it simple, NAT lets you be creative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom