Horrible Internet Connection..pics included

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, i put the router out of the picture and connected my modem to my computer directly, but the results are the same. so..my router isn't the problem..maybe it's my coaxial cable or i must have some kind of wiring problem inside my house

also, suprisingly, my internet works the best at night [12am-4/5ish am] and by "working best" it actually stays on for 10-20mins without disconnecting

Hrm, I wonder if perhaps they just have too many subscribers on that node.... Cable internet is a SHARED technology. Sure it's fast, but if your 'node neighbors' are using alot of bandwidth, and if there are alot of people on that node, it could cause problems... When they say 4 Meg or 6 Meg speeds, that isn't for EVERY customer, because they don't count on EVERYONE using the full bandwidth available at all times....

I would DEFINATLY suggest calling the ISP, and ask to have a Tier 2 look into the issue, and see if there have been other users on the same node, or in the same area complaining of a similar problem. Do you know if any of your neighbors have this trouble too? If you have a spare coax cable, it couldn't hurt to try a different one...

^ i do share a cable box..it's in the middle of my and my neighbor's lawn. is DSL shared too?

Yes, EVERYONE shares cable... That is the nature of the technology... it is a shared medium. There are more users on your node that just you and your neighbor, I can almost gaurentee it.

With DSL, it is ONLY YOU on it.... DSL rides your standard copper telephone line. Back in the day, there were 'party lines' where several homes would share ONE SINGLE line, and all the phones would ring at the same time, and they had to share the connection. DSL is Direct Subscribers Line or also Direct Subscribers Loop... it is a dedicated line from the serving Central Office, or neighborhood gateway, to your home.

Was the cable tech at your place yesterday, or next Tuesday?

next tuesday is my appointment. i'll probably be buying a new coax cable to make sure its not the wire.. i'll get them to run a test through the cable outlet on my wall and get them to check all the cable boxes around my house. also, i noticed something weird about my router. the power light is stable, the status light blinks, so does the WAN light and the WLAN light, but when i hook the ethernet cable from my tower to the socket named "1", the network gets unplugged..so now i keep my ethernet cable on the "2'' socket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom