Horrible Internet Connection..pics included

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jae

In Runtime
For the past 1 1/2 years i've had charter high-speed internet service[3mb]. However, the connections have been HORRIBLE. I get disconnected VERY often. i'm talking every 5 minutes. I can't even play online games cause i know i won't be able to stay on. Basically, my modem has 4 main lights- power,cable,status and ethernet. In order for my internet to work, the status light must be lit and stable along with the power and cable lights while the ethernet light blinks. My modem is connected to my router which has no problem. The problem is- the status light on my modem will go off and my internet wont work until the status light comes back on. A box comes up saying that "www.the address.com" could not be found. This happens VERY often. i've tried numerous methods that the charter technicians told me to do, but they never work. i just want my f*ing status light to be stable and not go off. i don't know what the problem is..maybe you guys can help? i know it's not the modem because i bought a new one a week ago. the bulletin above my setup on my wall has a lot of pins posted on it but i dont think that would effect the performance of my modem.. [oh, i've resetted my modem, repaired my connection online, ect..]
here are some pics of my setup:

sorry but i dont know how to show the pic directly

the back of my setup

my.php
my.php
my.php

front view[u can see the bulletin above my setup]
in the 2nd pic, u can see the status light turned off[the 3rd light from the top]
my.php

my.php

the whole setup
my.php

top view

my.php

You need to use a process of elimination to work your problem out, if youve changed your modem, how about taking that modem to your friends house who has a stable connection, just to make sure its definetley not the modem, then I would get the service changed.

Just subscribe to someone , and cancel after 30 days if it doesnt resolve it, this sounds like a pants signal, whose your provider, I can do detailed analysis on your service if you let me have your post code, and provider. Ill do my best, in this instance though, and with the information youve givnen, it sounds like your ISP

Does anyone else in your area suffer the same problem ? What equipment are they using, ? Is your PC ok ? These are all things you should consider!

Ta

^^ He uses Charter Cable Internet.

Have you tried using different coax cables from the modem to the wall, or tried plugging this into a different cable jack in the house? Perhaps bad inside wiring is to blame... Do you have cable TV through the same company, and if so, do you have any problems with the TV signal??

Your bulletin board has nothing to do with the issue.

Ethereal_Dragon said:
^^ He uses Charter Cable Internet.

Have you tried using different coax cables from the modem to the wall, or tried plugging this into a different cable jack in the house? Perhaps bad inside wiring is to blame... Do you have cable TV through the same company, and if so, do you have any problems with the TV signal??

Your bulletin board has nothing to do with the issue.

Sounds like bad cabling, that's what I'm thinking also. And also keep in mind that I have heard many people say that their ISP don't like to admit the problem is on their end even when it is.

Split to many time, improper installation, interference, broken or cut cable, cable is too long are some of the physical things that can cause an issue.

Keep in mind that even though you bought a new modem it still doesn't ensure it's 100% not the problem. It might or might not be.

i have charter cable installed on my tv. i dont have any problems wth that. Some ppl say that my modem and router are too close together..but i doubt that would be the problem. I will buy a new coaxial cable and try it out. I have tried different cable outlets throughout the house and nothing changes. I have a charter technician who is coming by on tuesday to look at the problem. I don't know if the wires inside my house are messed up. I signed up for this thing from charter that protects my wires though.
I'm pretty sure that my pc is fine. i run adaware and avg on it often. How do i know if my ISP is the problem and how do i fix it? Will the technicians be able to fix it?

Hopefully he should be able to diagnose the problem which would probably lead to a bad cable either inside your house or outside. If he doesn't find any cable problem he'll probably blame the modem and issue you another one. Your computer should have no affect on the modem.

If you aren't having any kind of TV problems, I would suspect that the issue would lie between the wall jack and the computer, or in the cable company's network beyond the point where the CATV and Internet are MUX'd together on the line....

As far as in your network, the only things really that would be between the wall jack and the computer is the coax cable and the Cable modem. You should call Charter, and see if they have logs of when your user account is logged in & out to see for sure if it is infact getting logged out...

Maybe doing a MAC cloning would help.

On your computer open up command prompt and do ipconfig /all and take note of the physical address (MAC address)

Go into your router web configuration and enter this MAC address in it's "MAC Cloning" setting. Look around for it, it should be somewhere on the router.

Ethereal_Dragon said:

You should call Charter, and see if they have logs of when your user account is logged in & out to see for sure if it is infact getting logged out...

i called charter last time and they said that i have logged off 9 times, so i know for sure.

ok, judging by the way you have this set up, the router has the account username & password configured into it (should be set for DHCP, not PPPoE, unless you have a static IP address).... ANYWAYS, I would recommend taking the router out of the picture. Computer your computer DIRECTLY to the modem, and use the connection cliet that Charter (SHOULD HAVE) provided you with on a CD with your 'installation kit'. Run that test for a day or two and compare your results. It could be very possible that the router has some kind of issue, and for whatever reason, it is dropping the connection. I have an old Belkin wired router that bugged out on me a couple times, and my LAN was functional, just not the WAN.... (Belkin tech support in India couldn't assist, cause they don't ACTUALLY KNOW anything, they just attempt to read pre-determined responses that are printed out... )

IMPORTANT!!
What I would recommend is trying to keep a log of EXACTLY when the trouble occurs. This way, you can identify the time between the 'bounces' and then give that info to the Charter tech. If you can get that info together before he gets to the house, then be SURE to find out the average time between the bounces, and see if the charter tech can run a test on the line... I have NO IDEA what kind of equipment they have in their trucks, but you can ask if he has a 'test set' that he could plug into the wall to run a test over the same line with his equipment to try an re-create the trouble on other hardware. If the dispatch doesn't find anything, and you STILL have the trouble, I would recommend calling Charter and DEMANDING that they have a TIER 2 engineer look at the reported trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom