Home Wireless Network Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meithan

Daemon Poster
Hello everyone.

I'm having problems with a recently installed home wireless network. Although the computers recognize and can connect the the wireless signal, the signal intensity is below 50% and the internet connection is very unstable, making it almost impossible to surf the web.

The wireless ethernet adpaters are 2 Airlink 101 AWLH3026, and the router is an Airlink 101 AR325W 802.11g. I installed the PCI cards with the corresponding drivers, plugged the router to my computer and the cable modem and configured the network, as guided by the included documentation.

The wireless cards do pick up the wireless signal, but the signal strength is at 49% in both computers, and the quality is at something like 20%. 802.11g being rated at 54Mbps, we're getting something like 11Mbps, which I can live with (internet shouldn't be affected, only file transfers). However, the major problem is that the internet signal is very unstable. It will work for like 1 minute, then stop working altogether for a few minutes, and then on again.

We've tried changing the channel, turning off possible sources of interference (cordless phone), moving the computer case above the desk, and toying with the router settings. Nothing seems to make a difference, and we're getting frustrated :mad:. Also, cell phone reception is limited inside the house, so maybe the house itself is the problem. Later on we'll try moving one of the computers in the same room to see if we can get a stronger, stable signal.

If anyone has experience about home wireless networks, could you give us a few tips? We'd be very thankful.

New development:

After a few hours, we finally got my dad's laptop wireless card working. It picked up the router's signal flawlessly, giving above 80% signal strength everywhere around the house. The signal works perfectly in the backyard and only fades when exiting the garage. The internet is working without interruption, giving almost the maximum theoretical bandwidth.

Conclusion: something is wrong with the wireless PCI cards we installed on the desktop computers. Any hints as to what it could be?

with the PCI cards installed are the antennas for them tucked behind the computer case? Did the correct driver get installed? I noticed both your router and cards have removabe antennas, you could extend the PCI card antennas up higher with a short piece of coax and possibly get a higher dB gain antenna for your router.

Yes, the PCI cards have small (4 inches) antennas that I screwed-in when I installed the cards. I first used the driver in the included CD-ROM, and then I tried installing the driver offered directly at the manufacturer website (hoping it would be a newer version). It's all the same.

What really bothers me is that the laptop's small wireless card picks up the signal with no sweat. Should I try returning the PCI cards, and getting a different brand?

Good luck returning anything electronic. Most stores wont do it, especially computer parts that have to get installed. What gets me is it is all Airlink gear and it should work great. Something I might try is a USB wireless thumb drive if your desktop has a USB in front of your box. But before you run out and spend money, AND if you havn't already, double and triple check the settings on both cards. Sounds kind of fishy that two cards would perform so poorly.

Well, I'm loaded for a fight if they won't take them back. However tomorrow I'll keep trying. It must be something with the config, since both cards are getting the same ~48% signal strength. Although I'm new to wireless, I'm quite experienced with general windows configuration. This has got to work. We used the wireless network with the laptop all afternoon; it's a bliss.

Anyway, thanks for your help, I'll let you know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom