home pc website hosting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

StorM_GmA

Baseband Member
I had to make a website for an assignment of my university. I'm running Windows XP home edition (so i don't have IIS) and apache 2.0.47 in order to be able to see my site.

I was wondering if it would be possible others see my site through the internet. I have dsl 384 with dynamic ip and i'm using modem/rooter (speedtouch 530 series by thomson) and there's only my pc on it. I don't have any registered domain name (i'm doing the papper work these days to buy one) but I think I don't have to have a domain name...I guess i can use my IP.

So...can anyone give some hints?!

Thanks alot!

you can get a domain name or use a free one from no-ip and use their ip updater just download and install the updater and let it run in the background then setup the router to forward port 80 to the comp with the site

thanks for your answers guys =)

I downloaded the ip updater and it seems it doesn't need any settings. I mean, I'll keep it running as it is right?

and 1 more thing..cpuelite said that I have to setup the rooter to forward port 80 to the comp with the site..the site. what site? the no-ip site or my site? coz my site is in my pc =S
However, if I have to forward port 80, I'll be thankful if someone can give me some guidance. Last time i tried to do such things alone (2 days ago),i messed everything up!

ok now that you have the updater all you have to do is go into your router settings and forward port 80 to your computer (the one with the site) i can help you with that but i need to know what router you have and yes the updater has no settings it is linked to your no-ip account so you change things on their site just let it run

is that your dsl router if so everything should be set just enter the domain name u got from no-ip and see if the site pulls up

well, the domain that no-ip gives me, is the stormgma.no-ip.info
but when i visit it,it redirects me to the settings of my dsl/rooter!
(in order to see the settings of my dsl/rooter i type in the explorer
the 10.0.0.138). In order to see my site, i go to 10.0.0.1
so...no-ip redirects me to 10.0.0.138 and i want to redirect to
10.0.0.1 ...how i'll do that? =\

go into ur router settings and see if there is a setting for port forwanding or port routing if you do enable it and type the ip of the comp into it and in the port box put 80 i would help more but i have never seen the config screen for that router before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom