Home nwtwork problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

munro01

Beta member
hello folks

seriously in need of some help :confused:

just set up a pc for the kids to run though the main pc downstairs i can access shared folders and documents from both, but can not access the internet.

both machines run xp pro are connected by a cat5 crossover cable, main pc has network card for broadband and onboard lan port that is connected to kids pc into its onboard lan port, have run network conection wizard on both machines, windows firewall is disconnected on both and main pc is running zone alarm security suite with network access to internet zone tried to ping out

but nothing

any help on this would be great

cheers :)

also i believe you have to have your DNS servers put in on both computers especially if you're doing static IP's and you'll need to set the default gateway to your main PC on your kid's pc

tried that too. have shut off all firewalls including zone alarm.

i have just flushed and registed dns on both machines too

if these boxes are xp run the XP networking wizard, there is an obscure registry setting that it sets I can't remember the key off the top of my head, or I would just tell you how to change it manually. the command for net use is
net use <drive letter to map with : but no \><space>\<ip address of comptuer>sharename<space> /user:<username> try net use ? it will give you the command line perameters. also make sure your Firewalls are off!
if it does not work
n do let me know is ur main pc connected to a dsl connection , i mean on a router or its jus a simple broadband connected via hub.

cheer all for the help, got it sorted re-installed xp on kids pc uninstalled zonealarm and hey presto !!!!

is there a firewall setting that allows network access to internet on zone alarm OR should it be installed on both machines ??:) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom