Home Networking Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFW516

Solid State Member
Hello,

I have been having a problem with my network and I was hoping you guys could help me out.

The network consist of only two computers both directly conected by cable to a router which is connected to my AT&T DSL modem. One computer is able to browse the internet but the other can't and I also cannot connect the two computers over the network.

I have tried AT&T's support and they have not been able to help. On the computer that doesn't work it just keeps saying it is aquiring network address. And when I ttry to repair the connection it has some error that it cannot register with DNS. I have tried to set the TCP/IP settings manually but I am not quit sure what to enter as the DNS server. When I manually put in an IP it will say its connected but will not recieve packets but will send.

If you need any more info I will be happy to provide it. I would sure appreciate any help you guys could give.

Stephen,

Do an ipconfig /all from the command line on the comp that works then you'll see what to set for DNS. Still strange that it won't pick up a dhcp addy.

unless the router is strangly set to only give out 1 address..go into the router settings make make sure ip range is 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.100

If you unplug one comp will the one that didnt connect start to work?

I have tried directly connecting it to the modem and it still won't work, it has the same problem. Its definitly a strange problem. Thanks for the replies.

Try setting both to get IP and DNS automatically, then connect each directly to the modem and see what happens. If it still doesn't work, your NIC may need to be reseated, replaced, or a new driver installed. Or the network cable may be bad. Unlikely, but possible. Also, what brand and model is your router?

I am using a Linkseys NC100 Enthernet adapter and the lights are on and from what I can see its working fine. I have tried switching cables and I have also tried setting the IP and DNS to automatic. When I do that it will just say aquiring network address all day.

In network connections right click local area connection

go to properties and youll see tcp/ip

double click that and set it like this

IP 192.168.0.101
Sub mask 255.255.255.0
def gateway 192.168.0.1

dns 192.168.0.1

then click ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom