Home Networking Help

JamesHendi

Beta member
Hi there, I am looking for help. I have a router downstairs that provides wifi. However the connection isn't very good when I am upstairs. I have put a ethernet cable from downstairs to upstairs for a better connection for my pc. My problem is that I want it to branch out to several different devices. I also would like to set up a wifi spot upstairs so I can connect to the wifi better on my mobile devices. How can I go about this and what do I all need?

Thanks, James.

Use that same cable to extend your wifi. Most newer routers have this ability. If you connect the router into an open port on the router downstairs. WDS wireless bridge is one setting which wouldn't require the hard wired connection. Another is just bridging the two routers.

It doesn't sound like James has a router upstairs, only that the PC upstairs is connected via ethernet. James, can you clarify?

If that is the case then your best bet is to buy a wireless repeater/extender/AP. Ideally you'll want to get the same brand as your router. If you're having trouble finding one, post the brand of your router (brand and model number would be ideal) and how much you're willing to spend and we can recommend something.

The free alternative is to make a DIY signal booster for your router. You'll have to google that one, there are different ways of doing it, it depends on the specific router that you are using, and your mileage may vary.

Something I didn't think about, if you have windows 7 on the PC upstairs and two NIC cards, one hard wired and one wireless you can use what is call Shared Internet Connection (ICS). It allows you to connect one NIC to your router / modem then share that internet connection with other PC with your second NIC.

Using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)

Back
Top Bottom