- Home Networking - (Cat5 and Router)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarHotshot

Solid State Member
Hello,

Could I get some help with configuring my home network.

I have:

2 x CPUs (both run XP professional)
2 x Laptops (both run XP professional)
1 x netgear prosafe VPN firewall FVS 318
1 x DSL modem

- all are connected properly via cat5 cables.
- all can get internet connection
- Internet protocols and DNS servers are Automatically deceted

I can't setup file sharing on my network can someone help me. Also explain how I access shared files once the network is up.

Thankyou - Much appreciated,

StarHotshot

All can access the internet? Good Start! Ok, well you'll want to disable the XP firewall on all machines. As all of your machines have a non-routable IP address, you'll have little to worry about by disabling this.

-Mike

Do you disable the XP firewall by disabling the "local area connection - Properties - Advanced?"

Because it's already unchecked

I ran the network wizard and all are on the same workgroup.

- do i need to muddle with the ip addresses or can i leave them on auto detect?

- How to i get to the shared files?

StarHotshot

Well, i wouldn't "muddle" with the IP addresses. If your DHCP is setup and you can access the internet on all computers then I would just concentrate on the LAN itself.
From one PC can you typ in a UNC path to the other PC's share
\\Computername\Sharename
????

When I try to access a computer it says:

"\\<Computer name> is not accessible. You might not have permssion to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found."

Help!!!

ok.....did you replace the "\\computername\sharename" with your actual computer name and sharename on that PC?

-Mike

First you will need to share a folder. This can be tricky in XP you will probably want to turn the easy share crap off in XP. Then right click the folder you want to share and choose sharing and security. Make sure that you have an account created on the machine that you wish to use for sharing or you can use your own. Then add that account to both the security tab and the share tab under permissions. Once this is done then you should be able to use the UNC \\computername\share. If this doesn't work then try \\IP Address\share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom