Home networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

locki433

In Runtime
Ok. My main machine is in my bio, running XP Pro. I have a laptop running XP home. I'm trying to share the drives on my main comp wth the laptop, but i can;t figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help

You could use a home router or a crossover cable. The computer most be in the same workgroup and the folder most be shared which is identify by a hand under it.

I'm connected to a Router with the main comp, and the laptop is on a wireless connection. I can see the comps on both comps in the workgroup comps, but then says i don't have access, permissions

Make sure file sharing and printing is installed, firewall is configured to allow file sharing, the laptop can use the guest account which must be enable in Administrator tools/computer management/user

I was just doing this and I realize that if you enable the guest account through the administrator tools you still get the "need permission" crap but if create a folder to be share than you can access the computer. What I'm saying is you need the guest account enable and you gotta have something to share in order to access the computer.

If you have a folder that is shared and you didn't enable the guest account than you would be presented with a prompt to login in the guest account instead of "access denied" prompt.

Have you tried, TightVnc.. that could help get access to the computer do what you want, but I think i'm alittle of topic here.

ya, I'm still having problems, I can see the comps still in the the other comps in the workgroups, but it says it's not accesseble and that I might not have permission. also says the network path is not found

On your Pro machine, go to the file settings and uncheck the simple file sharing permissions. Go back to the folder you want to share on your main PC and click on the sharing properties. Click share this folder and go to the permissions tab. Make sure the "everyone" group is highlighted and look at the three boxes that can be checked. Determine what access you want the everyone group to have and check those boxes. After this is done, restart both machines and it shoudl allow sharing now. If not, give it a few minutes then try accessing the folder from the laptop. That should fix it. I have seen this problem before. and this fixed it. If you are wanting to share any files from the laptop, make sure the guest account is turned on it so that the main PC can access it's shared files. Hope that helps.....

you can just use the admin share on the drives...
All you have to do is setup an Admin account on both machines ( set to full permissions )...
Easiest way to acces is "whacking" into the machine via the C$ [\\yourmachinename\c$]
It will prompt for username and password... Once you enter in your u & p, map the drive. - done

ps... do NOT share your C: !!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom