Home Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkDML

Solid State Member
Hello all;

I have two computers at home, and would like to create a home network....

What will be the best way to do this.

thanks in advance guys...

Lets see, where do we start????

Here are a few question that will help us get into the right path.

What kind of Operating System do you have on the computers?

Do you plan on using a conventional wired network or a wireless configuration.

Are the computers desktop or laptop units.

Let us know so we can get you up and running.

P.S. If you so a search for networking computers, you will find a whole bunch of info that might help you out with your decision making.

crossover

also how close they are in physical location because you could just use a crossover if you do not need expandability

HoLoCroN said:
Lets see, where do we start????

Here are a few question that will help us get into the righ path.

What kind of Operating System do you have on the computers?

Do you plan on using a conventional wired network or a wireless configuration.

Are the computers desktop or laptop units.

Let us know so we can get you up and running.

P.S. If you so a seach for networking computers, you will find a whole bunch of info that might help you out with your decision making.

Sorry for not mentioning all those things to you...

The O/S I will be running will be win Me- Professional version
I will be using the wireless ( preferably ) technology
both Desktops... and possible Laptop for the third one...

I know this is off the topic for my post... but Do you think the BlueTooth Technology for my laptop is good for wireless or not ?

Thanks in ADVANCED

Re: crossover

sirsmokingham said:
also how close they are in physical location because you could just use a crossover if you do not need expandability

The House has 3 levels. One computer will be physically located in the basement, and the other is going to be in the Main Floor ( possible: parallel to each other ) so approximately, about 15 feet appart

Thanks again.

Mark

By the way, I will be using High speed online connection ( Road Runner )
I think that will be helpful too.

<Mark>

Mark,

Thanks for posting the details, that helps us get a visual of what you would like to achieve and definitely helps in making sound decisions.

Since you have multi-level home, bluetooth won't work very well. Bluetooth has a limited range (At best 15ft) and the farther away the lower the signal strength.

If you are looking into a wireless solution I recommend going with an 802.11g setup, it is faster than the 802.11b standard BUT it is also compatible with 802.11b so you can use both if you have to.

Also, since you are going to have a broadband ISP you will want to get the Wireless DSL/Cable Router, that will share your internet connection between computers AND allow you to have wireless capabilities! There are many brands out there, personally I have the Linksys WRT54G and it has been working GREAT for me! The router also has 4 ethernet ports so I can directly connect computers to it if I want to! Bear in mind that you will have to get a few things to get you up and running.

You will need the following:

1) Wireless Router
2) Wireless Network Card (For everycomputer in your network, except the computer that will have the DSL Modem)
3)Some common sense and patience.

The reason you don't need a wireless network card on the computer that the modem is connected to is because you can connect that computer directly to one of the ports on the switch.

If you want more information on Wireless networks click here.

For information on router solutions click here.

If you have anymore questions let us know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom