Home Network Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strife

Solid State Member
(Running both machines on xp home)

I have DSL and I am sharing my internet with one other computer (just direct cable between the two) I have a strange problem, the LAN connected when I sign on to the internet (LAN 2 in this case) cannot get an IP whenever I set it to obtain IP automatically in TCP/IP settings, and I get a limited or no connectivity error because of this. If I try to set the IP manually to a 192.168.0.x IP it will work but then the computer sharing my internet loses their connection to the internet, Also if I try to edit the other computers IP manually internet is lost right away it seems it has to be on obtain IP automatically. Is there anyway I can get LAN2 to get its IP automatically so I don't get this limited or no connectivity error?

Note: If I leave LAN2 alone with its error we both have internet fine and dandy, I just want to get rid of the error, thanks.

I have also tried to use command prompt: ipconfig /release "Local Area Connection 2" release works than ipconfig /renew "Local Area Connection 2" will give this error "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Arean Connection 2: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

Well im a little confused with your problem. So does one computer connect to your modem and to your second computer at the same time? If this is so, you could try bridging the connections. To do this click on Network Connections in the controll pannel. Highlight the connection that connects to your modem, and the one that conects to your other computer, right click and choose bridge connections. This should fix your no connectivity problem.

I can't bridge connections when one of the LANs is being used for ICS, their is no bridge connections option when clicking my ISP icon and any of the two LANs. LAN 2 that I am referring is the LAN that is made when I first created my ISP connection, the only other LAN I am using is the one for ICS between me and the other computer.

I connect directly to the internet and the other computer connects to the internet through mine.

hmmm what if you tried setting up static IP's on each computer. im sorry, but what exactly is ICS? is that your ISP?

ICS is internet connection sharing, I can't set a static IP because the other computer will lose it's connection to the internet, I don't know why this happens.

sorry man i am unframilliar with this subject. Perpahs with a router you would have more luck? good luck to you anyways

Well the reason you get that limited connection on LAN 2 is because there's no DHCP server, I am assuming you have two NIC card, 1 is the public NIC and the other is the private NIC. Assign the Private NIC an IP address of 192.168.0.1
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway none!
DNS your ISP DNS address (get this information from the pubic NIC)

On the client computer, follow these steps http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/clientwiz.htm

If you want to bridge, heres a link http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/networkbridge.htm

Make sure you disable the firewall on the client computer, only enable it on the host.

If you want more information this link is very helpful http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

I've followed your steps and the links trying them all out, with no luck though. No matter what if the public LAN is set to anything other than obtain IP automatically the client loses their connection. When the public LAN obtains the IP automatically I get the limited or no connectivity error. I bought a router today I'll just hook that up, thanks anyway.

OK, are you using a cross over cable? That's the one thing you want to be sure if you are connecting two computer NIC together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom