home network through multiple routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bepaald

Beta member
Hello all!

I live here in a student house where many computers are connected to the Internet. Now I want to be able to exchange files with a housemates computer, but not with the other computers in house. The two computers are both running Windows XP Pro. Also we have a kind of a difficult setup here. Perhaps it is not even possible, but if there is a way I'd really linke to know.

This is our setup: Directly after the cable modem there's a switch which splits up the cable in two. These two connections each go to a router (each of which has their own ip address). My computer is connected to one of these routers, my housemates to the other.

Can we can get a connection between our computers?
Thanks in advance!

bepaald

Thanks for your reply.
I have to admit I have not tried anything at all, because I'm not really good with computers.
I was hoping for some kind of software-settings or something, especially since the two routers are on different floors in the building (1st and 3rd).

You need a crossed network cable to connect 2 routers to eachother.

What do you mean with connection? Do u want to share folders?

The Major has once again beat me to the answer. Damn his brain!!! :) thats the best advice, but if you 2 are living in the same house why not just share a connection? I mean it would be easyer... might not be possible but could be simple. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom