Home Network with Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deidra

Beta member
Need help with setting up home network. Have host computer on rogers hi speed internet. Have router with cat 5 cabling which 2 other computers are plugged into. Router is connected to cable modem. Host computer is plugged into router. Ran network setup wiz and can see only one of the two computers on the network. That computer has internet and shows up on the router, the other computer has no internet and no connection on router. Host computer works fine. Help????

you have the hardware setup wrong likely. can you tell me how your "other" computer is set up including where you plugged it into the router?

I hardly ever post about this anymore because ther are sooooo many things that could be making the other computer not get online, its almost impossible to troublshoot over a forum in a timely manner.

It could take days for me to say, ok check this, no? Ok try this......

Basically, if you can get more than one computer on through the router, its a problem with the config or the OS on the computer thats not working. Honestly, if you dont know how to troubleshoot it from there, you need to call the router manufacturer.

You're right, could be just about anything I suppose. Leaning towards the fact that the one computer (of three) that isn't connecting is not joined through a "patch" cable - just a crossover cable. Aren't crossover cables for computer to computer only? The alternate PC that we can see on the network is connected to the router via a patch cable.
Set up goes like this...rogers modem connected to router, all other computers connected to router via cabling (2 patch cables, one crossover)

Crossover cable is wrong. You can only use patch unless the Router is set to switch between the two. Get a patch cable and you should be good. THe only time a crossover works is if you plug into the uplink port. The uplink works for both patch and crossover by switching a little switch.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom