home network questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

atpat22

Baseband Member
Hi Im making a home network and have a couple of questions,

1. i have 1 laptop runing windows 2000 nt, sp 4
willl this work with a home network or do i need xp to run it on a wireless network

2. if i have my router and internet hooked up on a intel centron 2gh will it load internet and filles slower than if i hade router and internet hooked up to a amd 3800 am2 2.4gh

1. Windows 2000 will still work on wireless, because the wireless adapter comes with software.

2. Wireless routers work the same speed, whether they're on a Pentium 1 or Pentium 4.

1)No you don't need XP, with 2000 you will need the software that comes with your wireless adapter. 2000, I believe has no support for wireless connection management, instead you should be using a third party software. You can download other softwares also, there are dozen that will manage your wireless connection.

2)It all depends on your Internet connection, but your computer plays a little role in determining how to store your files from downloading it, but it's barely noticeable.

When you said load files, do you mean downloading from the Internet or on your computer like loading an application? Not quite sure if I understand question #2 correctly, if you could be a bit more specific or maybe be more clear. And what exactly are you doing with this computer? Will it be your gateway?

i mean i i have a quick and slow computer will the slow computer effect the quick computer when connected

atpat22 said:
i mean i i have a quick and slow computer will the slow computer effect the quick computer when connected

Not at all, it is independent of each other when connected to the Internet using a router, unless you are doing some file sharing or game over the LAN between the two computers, than yes it will have some affect but not as bad as you would think.

Nobody dictates that the wireless product should be the same manufacture ;) , they should all work together. There is a slight chance, maybe 5% to 1% that they won't but I doubt with today technology. If it doesn't work, it's probably because it wasn't configured properly. I never had any problem with different vendors operating together at work, maybe it's just me or my experience in the field. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom