home network question

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes. You would set up one monitor into the switch and the second monitor into the computer. The other computer would just be single monitor. Might be nice to have stuff open on the other monitor to keep and eye on when working on the single monitor computer.

yes. You would set up one monitor into the switch and the second monitor into the computer. The other computer would just be single monitor. Might be nice to have stuff open on the other monitor to keep and eye on when working on the single monitor computer.

Cool !
Those switches are not even expensive. That would solve a big space problem in myl ittle room here.:)
Thanks so much, you helped me out a lot today. I tried to add to your rep already after your first post but it would not let me.:(

I tried to ser up the ghome network using the XP network assistant, but I guess something went wrong in the process.

How can I delete/undo all the network I installed?
It said it was ready, but I need to re-do it and delete the network. How do I do that?
:confused:

I think I did something but I don't really know what I did......

so all I want to do now is delete what I did, redo the whole thing but first get it 'undone'

The easiest way would be to get a router. This would allow you to network the computers and have internet at each one as well. You could directly connect the two computers with a crossover cable. Then you could share internet if one of the two computers had 2 lan ports but it is more difficult than just getting a router.

I just noticed you mentioned a 'crossover' cable. So it's not a regular LAN cable like the one I use to connect my PC to the modem?

just rerun the network wizard and it will change what you did.

Crossover cable is for connecting 2 computers without a router. Since you have a router there is no need for one.

just rerun the network wizard and it will change what you did.

Crossover cable is for connecting 2 computers without a router. Since you have a router there is no need for one.

Thank you!

So, just a regular LAN cable will do for connecting both PCs?
And I don't need a crossover cable even if only one of the PCs is actually connected to the router via wireless LAN card, and I can still acess the internet with both PCs?:confused:

Yes a regular lan cable from each computer into the router. That is 2 lan cables required plus an additional regular lan cable from the wan port on the router to the modem.

Yes a regular lan cable from each computer into the router. That is 2 lan cables required plus an additional regular lan cable from the wan port on the router to the modem.

Oh, yes, I misunderstood.

What I actually wanted to do, since the router is all the way in another room and right now I am running acable from one side of the appaermtent to the other side:
I got a wireless LAN card, so I wasp lanning on putting that into my new PC, so it would receive wireless internet from the router and then I'd connect both PCs with each other for a home-network. Would that be possible? and would I then be able to access the internet from my old PC via the new PCs wireless internet?
For this set up I would need a crossover cable, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom