Home Network - Multiple Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeelliso

Baseband Member
Home Network - Multiple Routers (FIXED)

Hello,

First I will tell you my goal & what my current situation is.

I have two routers. Router #1 (Linksys BEFSR31 Version 2) is connected to my cable modem, a desktop, and a second router. Router #2 (Netgear RP614v2) is in turn connected to two other laptops. As of right now, all computers can connect to the internet perfectly and all are running Windows XP.

My goal is to be able to share files and printers among these computers.

The desktop connected to the Linksys router is connected to a printer through USB. I would like to be able to "share" this printer without buying a print server. I would also like to share folders between all three computers and be able to play online games, head-to-head.

I can't seem to get things working having the extra router.

Thanks in advance for your help.

On your netgear router, disable DHCP and plug a LAN port into another LAN port on your Linksys router. Simpleiest way.

Just to clairify: Currently I have the second router plugged into the "Uplink" slot on the first router. You say I should just plug the second router in like it was another computer? This should fix the probelms? Will the first router give IP's to the two laptops?

Thanks,

The first router should have DHCP enable, turn it off on the second router. Then give the second router an IP address that is related to your network. For example if the first router is 192.168.1.1 then give the second router 192.168.1.254 with the same subnet mask.

You can use the router 1 uplink port and connect it to the the LAN port on the second router with a straight through cable, or LAN to LAN with cross over cable. Uplink to Uplink with cross over cable but I'm not sure about this one. Just check to see if both port's light are on.

Refer to this thread for file sharing http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=94146

If you could get file sharing to work you should get print sharing to work. Basicly on the desktop computer with the printer attached, you just go to printer and fax in control panel, right click and share. The remote computer locates you in my network place, double click on your printer and the installation should be automatic. Make sure to set it as thier default printer.

I still can't seem to get anything to work. I've connected router 2 to a regular LAN port on router 1 instead of the uplink port. I've also disabled the DHCP server on router 2. I can still access the internet, but no network. Here are the IP's currently:

Router 1: 192.168.1.1
Router 2: 192.168.1.102
Desktop: 192.168.1.100
Laptop 1: 192.168.0.2
Laptop 2: 192.168.0.3

I can't figure out how to get the laptops to receive IP's from the same network.

Thanks,

your problem is that your routers and desktop are in one network, the laptops are in a completly different network.

Do you live in an urban community, neighbors houses close to yours? Is it possible that your laptops are communicating with someone elses wireless router?

I live in the country. Its a wired router, so I can't see how it could communicate with another router.

So I my question now is how to make these computers on the same network.

I've taken some screen shots of router 2 to show what options I have available and give a little more information:

Basic Settings

Lan Setup

Attached Devices

Thanks,

In your 'Lan Setup' picture, it shows that your router is assigning IP addresses via DHCP, and they are in a different network than the router.

Change the LAN IP ADDRESS to 192.168.1.1
Change DHCP START address to 192.168.1.2
Change DHCP END address to 192.168.1.50

Try that config... it SHOULD have you going.
Also, is this the router that is connected to the internet, or the 2nd router, plugged into the 1st router?

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't tried that yet, but I will later this afternoon.

By the way, the uplink on router 2 is connected to a regular lan port on router 1.

Thanks,

ok, that shouldn't be a problem. I am thinking that the pictures you posted links of are you SECOND router... where DHCP should be DISABLED... which it LOOKS like the box in unchecked, but the atached devices shows a coputer with an IP address in that DHCP pool...... Since you disabled the DHCP, have you tried renewing the IP addresses on the laptops? Usually the lease for the IP address defaults to a period of 24 hours I believe....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom