Home Network Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guyzer

Beta member
I'll try and give as much info as possible, however, if you need something else, please just ask. Thanks in advance.

I have 3 computers in my home network:
PC 1 is a Desktop PC running XP Home.
PC 2 is a desktop PC running XP Pro.
PC 3 is a notebook running XP Home.

I am having a small issue with my home network. In the beginning. I was able to set up my home network with printer and file sharing without much problem and have been running it like this for a while, up in till last night.

I have file sharing between PC 2 and PC 3 that I could access from both PC's up in till yesterday. Yesterday I added a shared folder from PC 2 which I needed to map on PC 3 so I could run a program that required info from PC 2. During the mapping of the shared folder, I was prompted to enter a password for a guest account, I assume from PC 2. (Not sure why asking for guest because I shared the folder with my regular windows account). The user name field is grayed out and I can not change it. My guest accounts on both PC 2 and PC 3 are disabled and have no passwords in them. After trying a blank password and any other password I might have used in the pass, I canceled the folder mapping and now when i try to just open the shared folders on PC 2 from PC 1 or PC 3, it prompts me for a password. I was never asked for a password in the pass when I accessed shared files on PC2. I tried to enable the guest account on PC 2 and give it a password but the password didn't work when I tried to access the shared folder from PC 3 or PC 1.

So my questions are, How bad did I mess up my home network? What can I do to get my access back to my shared files on PC 2 and how can I map the shared folder I need on PC 3?

Thanks again!

Regards

Guy

Are you mapping the drive?

I think what you did is change the default user.. You probably have the same user/pass on 1 and 2, so it didn't need to ask.
When 3 can on, it asked for the guest one, y coincidence maybe and you added it to the default spot.. So now you are using the guest info to try to get on the old comp, which it doesnt work.

If you' are mapping, re do the map, and use the option to connect with different user and put youre normal bootup password back.

I was trying to map a shared folder but that was where i started to get all my problems. Is there a way to reset the network settings to default?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom