Home network Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

caintribe

Solid State Member
I am new to the forum and have read everything on here about network problems. Would anyone help me figure out what I am doing incorrectly on this problem.

I have two XP SP2 computers that I am trying to network together. I have run the Set up a Home or Small office network. I can use the internet from both computers but cannot connect to each computer for shares. I have disabled firewalls. C: drives and other folders are shared at this time. Both computers are logged in as administrators.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Computer #1
Host
Workgroup: CER
IP: 192.168.0.1
Sub: 255.255.255.0
Gate: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1
Dialup Modem to Internet
Cannot connect to workgroup
“List of Servers for this workgroup is not currently available”

Computer #2
Client
Workgroup: CER
IP: 192.168.0.2
Sub: 255.255.255.0
Gate: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1
Can see Computer #1
Cannot connect
Error message:
“Network Path Not Found”

Thank you.

rename them both back to "WORKGROUP" * Keep the default workgroup for testing purposes, if you don't mind.

What kind of router do you have ?
can you ping the gateway and other computer from either machine ?

I have a simple hub just to connect them. I have also connected them together with a crossover cable and it does the same.

I can ping the 192.168.0.2 from either computer.
Cannot ping the 192.168.0.1 from either

Does this help any?

Thank you for the help.

disable simple file sharing (My Computer | Tools | folder options, view tab)

log on to both machines with the same user & pwd or setup share permissions to allow access for both users.

Files are shared with access for both users on either computer. Can log on to either computer with the same user and it is still showing the same.

instead of having computer one having the same IP as your default gateway make your host system IP 192.168.0.2 and your client 192.168.0.3 and keep your gateway the same, if you're using a router, if you're doing the internet connection sharing through windows don't ask me, i've tried it with dialup...doesnt work...but if you just want file sharing you dont even need a default gateway or a DNS, just enable file sharing, and set your ip's to wat i recommended above, BUT keep your subnet mask the same...255.255.255.0

good luck

Problem solved.

Guest account does not need to be active.
XP firewall can be active as long a file sharing exception is allowed.

Norton firewall and XP SP2 firewall has a conflict even if both are disabled. Even if Norton is completely disabled it conflicts. You have to uninstall Norton.
Restart computer.
Reinstall Norton without the firewall or it will conflict.

Thank everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom