Status
Not open for further replies.

AlmostAGeek

Solid State Member
Here's the set up:

Desktop PC on XP Pro ethernet cable to router
Laptop PC on XP Pro wireless card to router

Internet to both machines works fine.

I would like to be able to access "my document folders" on/from each machine.

Both machines are set to the same workgroup. I have shared the folder on both machines.

Desktop: My Network Places/Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network/Workgroup

When workgroup is click error message says workgroup not accessible - network path not found - no listing of networked machines

Laptop: My Network Place/Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network/Workgroup
-Desktop
(desktop not accessible-network path not found)
-Laptop
(I get listing of shared folders)

There doesn't seem to be anything set differently on the desktop that should cause this. What am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

make sure you are connected wirelessly to your own network ,
here I can jump on three different wireless networks .
double check settings on both Laptop and PC via command prompt ....ipconfig /all make sure your DNS ,gateway and Ip's all look good. the DNS and gateway should be the same on both.

also double check to make sure file share is turned on.

make sure you turn off the windows firewall on both machines. Start>Control pannel>Security>turn windows firewall off (it says not recommended but the fireall is usless if you are running your own antivirus. in this case select the monitoring yourself option) Also make sure you are not on any other type of firewall. IE: anti-virus. router. For your router, google on how to configure the firewall for your model.

Try going to start>run>then type in \\IPadress\drive letter$

example:\\192.168.1.256\C$
if that doesnt work just simply try \\192.168.1.256\

try to gain access to your own files through your own computer to see if it's working correctly. Use that line in the RUN box just use your IP address instead of the other PC's.

Post the following info for us to better help you. On your laptop/desktop run the ipconfig /all command and post back the IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS addresses.

First we must make sure they are on the same IP network. Can you ping the laptop from the desktop with its IP? Can you ping the desktop from the laptop with its IP? For now I agree disable ALL firewalls so that we can eliminate items easier. Then we can enable them and configure them after we get the network talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom