home network fast ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyw80

Solid State Member
I have a home network with cisco router fast ethernet e1000. Have 2 pcs hooled up to it by cat 5 cables. When transfering pc to pc i get about 2 to 3 MBps or 16 to 24 mbps. How can i make this faster. Both nic set to full duplex.

16 to 24 sounds right. I don't believe the issue is your network - sounds like the issue is is your hard drives. About 30mb/s is the max you are going to get out of a hard drive unless you are using a SSD or something with super fast RPM.

I constantly copy from one SATA 3/gbs drive to another drive on the same RAID controller and the max i usually get is the mid 20's. Reason being a platter drive is only going to be able to spin so fast and access that data so fast.

Lex, I think that unlikely unless the PCs are greater than say 5-6 years old and even then not so likely. Even my netbook was capable of saturating a 100MBps link with relative ease, I've done it with P3 generation hardware too using ATA HDDs pulled from computers left on the roadside. I've never been a fan of Linksys, my cynicism tells me to blame them. I think it's worthwhile testing with another router/switch if you have one available or use a crossover cable directly between the computers (will require manual network configuration) and report the results back.

Both drives are 7200rpm so maybe u are right

Lex. Is there a cheap place to get ssd drives. I have seen the drives called hybrid drives where i think only cache and buffer is ssd. Would this make a difference you think or all ssd??

Nitestick. R u claiming to get 100MBps or 100mbps. Big difference there. Do u have gigabyte or fast e?

home network

Hi

I am wanting to update my home network to gigabyte. I will run new cat 6 cable. My question is can i get a switch 100/1000 and keep same 10/100 router. Hook all pcs into switch and router onto switch. Will this give me gigabyte speeds for my lan!!

I don't think you are getting 100 megaBytes per second, unless you have an SSD or a one that runs 10000 rpm +. Platter drives aren't that fast.

Your bottleneck ins the 7200 rpm drive, not the SATA connections, not the 3/gbps cable, its the physical drive itself. Going from the disc to the buffer is the slowest part, from there it goes from the buffer to computer which is where the SATA speeds come into play, there you get the 3 gb/s up to i think 9 gb/s for the newest hard drives.

Here is a better explanation that i've found online:
As of 2010, a typical 7200 rpm desktop hard drive has a sustained "disk-to-buffer" data transfer rate up to 1030 Mbits/sec.[85] This rate depends on the track location, so it will be higher for data on the outer tracks (where there are more data sectors) and lower toward the inner tracks (where there are fewer data sectors); and is generally somewhat higher for 10,000 rpm drives. A current widely used standard for the "buffer-to-computer" interface is 3.0 Gbit/s SATA, which can send about 300 megabyte/s (10 bit encoding) from the buffer to the computer, and thus is still comfortably ahead of today's disk-to-buffer transfer rates. Data transfer rate (read/write) can be measured by writing a large file to disk using special file generator tools, then reading back the file. Transfer rate can be influenced by file system fragmentation and the layout of the files.[80]
HDD data transfer rate depends upon the rotational speed of the platters and the data recording density. Because heat and vibration limit rotational speed, advancing density becomes the main method to improve sequential transfer rates.[citation needed] While areal density advances by increasing both the number of tracks across the disk and the number of sectors per track, only the latter will increase the data transfer rate for a given rpm. Since data transfer rate performance only tracks one of the two components of areal density, its performance improves at a lower rate.

You are still going to max out around 35 mb/s for a platter drive because the read arm and platter can only physically move and access data so fast.

No - most SSD drives i see are around 100 bucks for like 80 gb. it's not cheap yet. Best alternative is to put your OS on a SSD drive then have all of your files, games, programs on another drive.

Just gonna say this... These are results from my various drives/arrays.
Also, none of this is going over the network, but, I do in fact usually max out a 100mbps connection when transferring data to the 1TB hard drive.
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9827/32560828518987485392310.jpg
32560828518987485392310.jpg

Also, if platter drives maxed at ~35mb/s then I should not be able to get 100+ on a Raid 0 array with only two drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom