Home Network from 7 to XP

Crossover cables arrived today. Got them installed but I think I'm still missing something somewhere. Still having the same issue. I feel like I just need to take this from the beginning again and find out what to setup network wise, for both PCs.

I tried enabling all kinds of sharing options I could find on both machines, as well as setting the workgroup to the same name. But still no luck. Kinda out of ideas at this point.

If you are doing a direct pc to pc, then not only do you need the cross over cable, but you also have to go into network connections, hilite local connection then do a right click and select property's then select TCP/IP hilite and then select propertys, then select USE FOLLOWING ip ADDRESS.

This is call 'setting static IP>enter 1an IP like 10.0.0.2 in one PC and 10.0.0.3 in the other PC.

On the PC with 7, you will also need to enter 10.0.0.1 in default gateway.

The above has now set a stand alone network for just these two PC"s.

Instead of doing all this, espeacial if you want one of them on the internet, juxt get a small switchand plug you main either into one port and using a standard either cable, plug both pc's into another port.

Now both PC's are on the internet and able to do what you wish.

This is MUCH easier.

The machine running 7 does have duel Ethernet ports. So I should theoretically be able to have it connected to the internet, in addition to the cross over cable to the XP-machine right?

Yes I used to have a similar setup with a crossover cable way back when with windows 98 and had the main PC plugged to the net with a second Ethernet card. It also gave internet to the second PC. I did this because back then my cable company wanted to charge per PC for the internet so they only had one PC connected with one IP then the second got internet through the first PC.

This is call 'setting static IP>enter 1an IP like 10.0.0.2 in one PC and 10.0.0.3 in the other PC.

On the PC with 7, you will also need to enter 10.0.0.1 in default gateway.

The above has now set a stand alone network for just these two PC"s.

I tried this but for some reason it wasn't quite working correctly. There is also that bit about the Subnet mask having to be set if the other manual options are engaged. I'm not even sure what any of these functions do, besides what an IP address is for.

Another thing that was brought to my attention through this. I'm figuring out that one of the two Ethernet ports actually doesn't respond. It's to my guess that it's not actually assigned a network, as the crossover cable does nothing to it but the standard internet cable doesn't when I plug into that inactive jack either. The adjacent activity light also doesn't light up when cords are plugged into the "off port"

ScreenShot05-28-14at0813PM_zps4fff93e9.png

When I read Connection 2, this leads me to believe that different cord ports are assigned a connection. Now I don't know how that could be done, if I'm even correct in assuming this in the first place.

Oddly enough, on the machine running 7 I was able to find the XP machine AFTER having reset the settings to obtain the IP address automatically. Only downside is it would give me an error message when I tried to open it's sharing folders. Well that and losing my actual internet connection from having to use the only functional Ethernet port. Still unsure what's wrong with this setup right now, but I'm determined to work with this and get to the bottom of it. Thanks for baring with me guys, even if my brain is starting to hurt a little. :confused:

Windows 7 can't HomeGroup with XP, are you networked with another Windows 7 pc to be using the HomeGroup?

I can't? This whole thing worked great before when I could connect the XP machine directly into a router. I just set the homegroup/workgroup names of both computers to be the same, and opened all the sharing options and it worked fine.

The difference is I don't have that router anywhere near by anymore. Not to mention it's unreliable at current so I wanted to link the two computers independently of the router entirely. It's just proved a much greater task than I had assumed. So as far as I know I'm not not networked with another PC.

My goal is that the machine running 7 can access internet and also share a private connection with the XP machine sitting on the other side of my desk.

Ah that's really handy. Current guide I'm looking at from before is a little sketchy but I'll give this a run through after work tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Back
Top Bottom