home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Everything to Nothing
Ok this is the fourth thread i have made related to this, i have two computers which i want to network together, i have managed to make this network work before but for some reason it randomly stopped working,

right, my computer (which is called NICK-PC) and my parents computer (MAHONEY) are in the same workgroup as you can see from this image:

netowkr1.jpg

(all the pics are rubbish quiality as I have used paint)

as you can see my pc is highlighted and it says

Catorgories: Computer
Workgroup: MSHOME
Netowrk Location: Top Banana (dont ask lol)

where as if i highlight the MAHONEY computer it only says:

Catorgories: Computer
Workgroup: MSHOME

with no network location. if i try and enter it it says incorrect domain but it is right,

if i go on to the mahoney computer (which is XP) and click view workgroup computers it says access is denied,

NICK-PC is wireless via Netgear Range Max WPN311
MAHONEY is ethnert via a belkin 54g Router

and as i said I did get this network to work before and it as jsut stopped working, also I can ping NICK-PC and use the internet on it, help would be really really really useful, thanks for reading anyway

oh and NICK-PC is vista premium

So both can ping each other's IP address? What about pinging the name of the remote computer?

You get an access denied when on the MAHONEY computer trying to access NICK-PC? Can you go on NICK-PC and access MAHONEY's shares?

when i ping the remote pc on the MAHONEY pc i get non existant domain name and server does not exist, when i ping MAHONEY from NICK-PC it says non existant domanin

it's alway easier to run the network setup wizard to wired connections, then take your wireless computer somewhere else

take your wireless computer and hook it up by the router. plug a cat5 wire in the Ethernet port of the wireless machine. your other computer should already be setup like this. run the network setup wizard on both.

now unhook the wireless machine and put it back where it was originally was. you should be able to access files now.

btw do you have a 3rd party firewall?

thanks guys for teh help, but i found a program called netowork magic, its only a trial but it works, the only problem i have with it is tht norton 2005 firewall (on MAHONEY) stops me from printing from the remote computer,

if i turn it off i can print and share files, is the windows firewall (on xp) reliable enough to be used as a default firewall?

I use windows firewall and my top flite D link Dir-625 router firewall with network magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom