High ping, horrible download, decent enough upload...router problem?

ManualPeak

Beta member
Hi folks,

A couple days ago was playing xbox online wired up to my Netgear DG834G router when it started to freeze, Xbox Live became very slow, I got kicked from the game and couldnt find any new games.

I thought this was odd so I went onto my laptop which is connected wirelessly to the same router and I found the internet was extremely slow to the point it wouldn't even run speed tests at times it would just hang.

I checked with 2 other laptops and same problem there too.

Tracert returned pings of 500+ms (between 500 and 700ms) over all but the first one which was my laptop to the router.

When I finally managed a speedtest I got 0.04Mbps download and 0.36Mbps upload speeds.

I have rebooted the router a few times to no effect. I have also reset the router to factory settings and reset it up and I'm getting the exact same problem. I have scanned all my laptops too although the fact that my wired xbox was suffering too I didn't expect that to be the problem.

My question is this: Is this likely to be my router just on the blink or my ISP (AOL) problem? I was thinking router as my pings in all the Tracert were all very high. I have had the router for many years.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

James

Well, your ISP is not AOL unless you have a direct wire to them. Your ISP is the local cable or phone or satellite service.

Now with that said, what kind of router are you using and is it provided by your ISP or is it AFTER a modum provided by your ISP?

Thanks for the reply,

It's a NETGEAR DG834G router, I got it myself due to the need for a home network, it has worked perfectly for many years.

James

Well the only way to know if it is the Router is to direct connect to the modem and test that first. If you get the same speeds, it is your ISP that is the issue. If you dont then the router is the issue and needs to be replaced.

Honestly, you need to provide more information. In my field of work, if a customer (commercial businesses) calls up with that same complaint, 99% of the time it is because their internet connection is being fully utilized.

That being said, you mentioned tracert of 500+ms. This really doesn't help at all, as it doesn't indicate where the issue is. Additionally, the trouble with speed test websites is that they do *NOT* tell you what your connection speed is, they tell you what your AVAILABLE bandwidth is. Example, If you have a 3 meg connection, and you have a 2 mbps download running, a speed test will only show 1 meg because that is what is available.

First thing, can you copy and paste your tracert here so that we can point out where the issue is?

If you can't post the tracert, then run the following pings, using -n 100 and copy the results here.

• run a ping from your host to the router PRIVATE IP address. Ex: ping 192.168.1.1 -n 100
  • run a ping from your host to YOUR PUBLIC IP - What Is My IP - Shows Your IP Address
  • run a ping from your host to first hop BEYOND your router.
  • run a ping to google.com

As an example, here is the output from my desktop to my router,

Code:
C:\Users\Admin>ping 192.168.1.254 -n 10

Pinging 192.168.1.254 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.254:
    Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\Admin>

Here is all that you need to post as far as results go. You can delete the IP address listed, just change it to a description of the destination.

Code:
Ping statistics for ROUTER PRIVATE
    Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Hi folks,

A couple days ago was playing xbox online wired up to my Netgear DG834G router when it started to freeze, Xbox Live became very slow, I got kicked from the game and couldnt find any new games.

I thought this was odd so I went onto my laptop which is connected wirelessly to the same router and I found the internet was extremely slow to the point it wouldn't even run speed tests at times it would just hang.

I checked with 2 other laptops and same problem there too.

Tracert returned pings of 500+ms (between 500 and 700ms) over all but the first one which was my laptop to the router.

When I finally managed a speedtest I got 0.04Mbps download and 0.36Mbps upload speeds.

I have rebooted the router a few times to no effect. I have also reset the router to factory settings and reset it up and I'm getting the exact same problem. I have scanned all my laptops too although the fact that my wired xbox was suffering too I didn't expect that to be the problem.

My question is this: Is this likely to be my router just on the blink or my ISP (AOL) problem? I was thinking router as my pings in all the Tracert were all very high. I have had the router for many years.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

James

Did this issue start occurring 2-days ago or is it a reoccurring issue?

If it started two days ago there might be an issue with the router. Bypass the router completely, plug into the wall and run a speed test. If your latency is the same, boot your computer in a safe mode with networking. This will initiate all default factory settings and see if there's anythign quirky in "normal" mode. IF you are still experiencing high latency contact your provider and ask if their site is maxing. If they tell you it's under investigation then you're screwed and the site is maxing.

Thanks for the replies. Everything is back to normal suddenly, I didn't do anything.

I don't have my Tracert report as I didn't save it at the time, everything is back to 20 - 30ms ping.

rlj - This is the first time it has happened.

AOL didn't seem to know of any problems when I contacted them (I talked to them after it was working again as it was the first chance I got)

I am still very puzzled...

James

I work as a network engineer. Sounds to me like it might be a signal issue with your modem.

Check with your ISP immediately if it starts happening again. If it's a signal issue they should be able to see it.

Also ping your default gateway when it happens, and ping google.com. If the default gateway is good but not google then it's an issue with your modem/ISP.

Back
Top Bottom