Hi, new member! Local/shared folders appear as "The Internet" when I open "Network...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron74

Beta member
G'day all,

I'm fairly new to all this but I was hoping ssomeone might be able to provide some insight into our small office network! They are four machines...3 running XP Home and 1 on XP Pro linked via ethernet?...blue cat5 cable. Our front machine runs our business program Quickbooks and also holds the company file. This machine is the one all others look to when they need to access the company file. The other machines have Quickbooks installed on them but I think they use to be mapped/shared to the front machine to "see/access"the company file. My problem is currently when you open "My Network Places"on the front machine all shared folders appear under the heading "The Internet" rather than under "Local Network" where I would expect to find them.

Currently I can ping the bosses machine from the front counter machine but not the reverse!!

Any ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers :)

Re: Hi, new member! Local/shared folders appear as "The Internet" when I open "Networ

G'day all,

I'm fairly new to all this but I was hoping ssomeone might be able to provide some insight into our small office network! They are four machines...3 running XP Home and 1 on XP Pro linked via ethernet?...blue cat5 cable. Our front machine runs our business program Quickbooks and also holds the company file. This machine is the one all others look to when they need to access the company file. The other machines have Quickbooks installed on them but I think they use to be mapped/shared to the front machine to "see/access"the company file. My problem is currently when you open "My Network Places"on the front machine all shared folders appear under the heading "The Internet" rather than under "Local Network" where I would expect to find them.

Currently I can ping the bosses machine from the front counter machine but not the reverse!!

Any ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers :)

I have that too, my local shares are under "Internet", I don't think it's a problem. Do you have a SOHO router? It's good to have a SOHO router for protection.

Check firewall if you can't ping, seems like your connection is fine. You might have Windows firewall enable and the firewall disable the ICMP echo reply on the front counter machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom