Here's one for you networking experts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldamaster

Beta member
First I will explain my setup. WAY on the other end of the house is where the main computer is. This is where my external modem (I have DSL) is, as well as my wireless router. The wireless router sends the signal which is received by my laptop (which I am on right now). Now here's the question: in the room with my laptop here, I have a PlayStation 2. I would like you be able to play online games with it. Is there any way at all to use the internet signal my laptop is receiving, and hookup an ethernet cable out the back of the laptop and plug it into the PS2? It kind of seems like there should be a way to do this but I'm not sure. How can I do this?

Seems that all you would have to do is setup ICS, Internet Connection Sharing, with a crossover cable to the PS2. An easier way may be to get a wireless card for the PS2- not sure how much that would cost, or if they even have them.

Law said:
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114149

First section, read the part about configuring the Host, just think about the PS2 as the client but you're not using the setup wizard since there ain't none, you'll just give it an IP address. Should be the same and it should work if you correctly setup the HOST.

Actually, it would be easier to set the PS2 using DHCP, since ICS automatically sets up NAT/DHCP on the XP system. That way the user wouldn't have to mess around with things like troubleshooting an IP configuration on the PS2, which can be quite daunting to someone who is unfamiliar with what the IP settings should look like.

I believe the option for the PS2 is "obtain IP settings automatically" or something to that effect, I'm not looking at the screen right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom